Last Updated: September 21, 2021
- The types of Personal Information we collect
- How we use Personal Information
- How we share Personal Information
- The choices we offer, including how to access or update your Personal Information, and the rights you have to your Personal Information, and
- The steps we take to keep your Personal Information safe
If you are a California resident, please also review our California Resident Privacy Notice for more information about the types of Personal Information we collect and disclose, as well as how to exercise your rights under California law.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We may collect a variety of Personal Information from or about you or your devices from various sources, as described below. As required by applicable law, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Information, as well as the consequences of failing to do so. If you do not provide Personal Information when requested, you may not be able to benefit from the Service if that information is necessary to provide you with it or if we are legally required to collect that information.
Personal Information You Provide to Us
When you use our Service, you may provide us with the following information:
- Contact Information. When you order products, create an account, subscribe to our Service or register to receive materials, we will ask you for your contact information, such as your name, username and password, postal address and shipping information, email address, phone number.
- Payment Information. When you make a purchase, we will ask for your payment information, such as your bank account details. While you may submit credit card information while making a purchase with us, we don’t hold onto your full credit card number ourselves – we use a third party payment processor such as Stripe, Klarna or PayPal, and they keep that credit card information in their credit card vaults. We keep a record of the last 4 digits of the card you used because that helps us to identify given transactions later. With regards to your full credit card number, we use third parties to process and store this information.
- Communications. When you communicate with us, we may receive additional information about you. For example, when you report a problem with something, we will receive details about the problem and any other information you choose to provide.
- Photos or Documents. We may receive photos or documents you submit through the Service, such as photos of designs, your prints, and images taken by your Glowforge printer for troubleshooting. If you submit a document or photo to any portion of the Service accessible to the public, for example community.glowforge.com or app.glowforge.com, you thereby grant us permission to use that photo or document for the purpose for which you submit it, and as part of our marketing activities to the extent permitted by applicable law.
- Contests, Invitations and Referral Program. If you choose to participate in a contest or our referral program, or invite others to use your Glowforge printer, we will receive any information and content you choose to provide to us, such as other users’ email addresses.
- Careers. If you apply for a job with us, you may submit information such as your resume, education and employment experience.
Personal Information We Collect Automatically
When you use our Service, we may collect the following information by automated means:
- Information We Collect Through Printers. When you use a Glowforge printer, we may automatically collect information using the sensors, cameras and similar technologies integrated into the printer. These technologies may be used to collect information including WiFi credentials (stored on-machine only); IP address; information on the WiFi connection quality; MAC address; WiFi network SSID; in-machine images captured by the camera integrated into the printer when the printer lid is closed; accelerometer information; lid sensor information; temperature of various printer components; and printer log files (including Daemon logs, kernel & firmware crash reports). We use this Personal Information for security and troubleshooting purposes.
Personal Information We Collect From Third Parties
We may also obtain Personal Information about you from third parties, such as advertising providers [and online stores]. This information may include contact information and other information you submit to such third parties (e.g., by filling out a form posted by an advertising provider).
HOW DO WE USE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
We use the Personal Information we collect:
- To provide, maintain, improve, and enhance our Service.
- To personalize your experience on our Service such as by providing tailored content and recommendations.
- To understand and analyze how you use our Service and develop new products, services, features, and functionality.
- To communicate with you, provide you with updates and other information relating to our Service, provide information that you request, respond to comments and questions, and otherwise provide customer support.
- For marketing and advertising purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you.
- To generate anonymized, aggregate data containing only de-identified, non-personal information that we may use for any purpose.
- To facilitate transactions and payments.
- To process your job application.
- To find and prevent fraud, and respond to trust and safety issues that may arise.
- For security and troubleshooting purposes.
- For compliance purposes, including enforcing our Terms of Purchase and Service or other legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency.
- For other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time the Personal Information is collected.
Data protection laws in the European Economic Area and the United Kingdom (together: “Europe”) require only using Personal Information if there is a valid legal basis. This means we only use your Personal Information when you are in Europe if:
- Consent. You have consented to the use of your Personal Information, for example to send you marketing communications.
- Contractual Necessity. We need your Personal Information to provide you with the Service, for example to ship a product to you which you have ordered from our Site.
- Compliance With a Legal Obligation. We have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information, for example to comply with tax and accounting obligations, or to comply with a court order.
- Legitimate Interests. We or a third party have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. For example, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information for product development and internal analytics purposes, and to ensure the safety, security and performance of our Service. We only rely on our or a third party’s legitimate interests to process your Personal Information when these interests are not overridden by your rights and interests.
HOW DO WE SHARE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
We may disclose your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- Affiliates. We may share your Personal Information with our affiliates and subsidiaries who need to receive access to the information.
- Vendors and Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with our vendors, as described in this policy, for the purposes of providing services to you. These vendors are not authorized to use or disclose the Personal Information, other than to perform their services for us. For example, as we described above, we share Personal Information with vendors so that they can operate our mailing list, but they are not authorized to email you directly or share your Personal Information with others. The same applies to vendors who operate services for us such as: our forums, our referral program, our job application page, shipping, market research, and payment processing.
- Analytics and Advertising Providers. We share your Personal Information with third party analytics and advertising providers whose cookies are used on our Service.
- Publicly Accessible Area of the Service. If you voluntarily choose to include your Personal Information in a publicly accessible area of the Service, third parties may be able to access such Personal Information.
- As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures. We may share your Personal Information if we believe we have to in order to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies, to the extent permitted by applicable law. If we are about to release your Personal Information, we will try to provide you with notice in advance, unless we are legally prohibited from doing so. Similarly we may share your Personal Information if we believe we have to in order to (i) take precautions against liability; (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available; or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Merger, Sale or Other Asset Transfers. We may share your Personal Information to service providers, advisors, acquirers, successors, or assignees in connection with any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, or in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Careers. When you apply for a job with us, we may share your Personal Information with trusted partners, for example our applicant tracking system vendor.
- Consent. We may also disclose your Personal Information with your permission.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You may, of course, decline to share certain Personal Information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the website or Service. You may update, correct, or delete your account information and preferences at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. While we will make the changes within a reasonable period of time, we may keep any Personal Information for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we might have a legitimate need to do so.
If you receive a commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in every email, by sending us your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to us at the address given at the end of this policy. We may allow you to view and modify settings relating to the nature and frequency of promotional communications that you receive from us in a user account functionality on the Service.
Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving commercial email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of promotional communications you receive from us, your request will generally be processed immediately, but it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may continue receiving promotional communications from us during that period, to the extent permitted under applicable law. Additionally, even after you opt out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding the Service.
We work with third party advertising partners to show you ads that we think may interest you. Some of our advertising partners are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (https://optout.networkadvertising.org) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (https://optout.aboutads.info). If you do not wish to receive personalized ads, please visit their opt-out pages to learn about how you may opt out of receiving web-based personalized ads from member companies. You can access any settings offered by your mobile operating system to limit ad tracking, or you can install the AppChoices mobile app to learn more about how you may opt out of personalized ads in mobile apps.
We comply with data protection laws in Europe that grant the following additional rights to individuals located in the UK or EU:
- You may request access to and receive information about the Personal Information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information, restrict or object to the processing of your Personal Information, have the information anonymized or deleted, as appropriate, and exercise your right to data portability to easily transfer your Personal Information to another company. In addition, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, including in your country of residence, place of work, or where an alleged incident took place.
- You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us regarding the processing of your Personal Information, at any time, and free of charge. We will apply your preferences going forward and this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before you withdrew your consent.
The website or Service may contain features or links to websites and services provided by third parties. Any Personal Information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services, and their own privacy policies apply, even if accessed through our website or Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with Personal Information.
We have adopted certain technical, physical and administrative safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of the Personal Information that we collect on our site. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
We take measures to delete your Personal Information or keep it in a form that does not permit identifying you when this information is no longer necessary for the purposes for which we use it, unless we are required by law to keep this Personal Information for a longer period. When determining the specific retention period, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of service provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, and mandatory retention periods provided by law and the relevant statute of limitations.
NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16
Our website is not directed at persons under 16. Consequently, we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with any Personal Information, we will take steps to delete such information.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
ATTN: Legal Department
2200 1st Avenue South
Seattle, WA, 98134, USA
You may choose to contact our local Data Representative.
Representative of controllers or processors not established in UK (Article 27 UK GDPR):
represented by Prof. Dr. Christoph Bauer
Große Bleichen 21