Last Updated: June 7, 2017
The types of information we collect
How we use that information
The choices we offer, including how to access or update your own information, and
The steps we take to keep your information safe
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
- We Collect Information When You Browse the Site
- When you visit the Site we may collect data, much of which is anonymous. This data includes information such as: the type of browser and OS you use; the time and date that you visit; your IP address and the general geographical location the IP identifies you as being at; the address of the external or internal page that referred you; search terms you might have used to find our site, or if you used an email to access our site, what email you clicked on; and the pages on the site that you visit, possibly including the order of the pages you visit and any actions you take on a given page. We mostly use this information to figure out how people are using our site and what interests them, and we may also use it to diagnose issues with the site.
- We Collect Information When You Sign Up
- There are lots of reasons you might give us information:
- So you can follow us, or so we can put you on a mailing list
- So you can order something
- So you can report a problem with something
- So you can take advantage of our referral program
- So you can enter a contest
- So you can apply to a job
- So you can create an account, for example for the forums,
- So you can communicate with us via social media, for example our Facebook or Twitter or Instagram account, or
- To tell us your marketing preferences
In any of the situations we list, we take the information you give us and hold onto it for our records. In so doing, we may store information such as: your name; your email address; your username and password; the name of any referrer; the name of any people referred; your contact information, including any billing or shipping address/es; records of anything you order from us or request from us; and photos or other documents submitted by you or collected through the Service, including photos taken by the Glowforge, to enable your use of that User Content or to resolve any issues that may arise with the Service.
If you submit a document or photo to any portion of the Service accessible to the public, for example community.glowforge.com, you thereby grant us permission to use that photo in print or online/electronically for any lawful purposes, including as a part of our marketing activities.
- We Collect Information When You Interact with Us on Social Media, or Use Social Media Buttons on our Site
- You may see Facebook “like” buttons or “share” buttons on our website, or similar buttons on our website or other social media sites. If you use those buttons, we may collect your IP address and where you were on our site or on social media when you used the button. These kinds of social media features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies providing them. Here are the policies of a few of those companies:
- LinkedIn Note that if you share information with us on a public social media site, that information may be seen by the general public and any other person or entity might collect and keep that information for their own purposes.
- We Collect Information on Use of the Service through Cookies and Pixel Tags.
What’s a cookie?
What’s a pixel tag?
Pixel tags (also called clear GIFs, web beacons, conversion pixels, or tracking pixels) are small blocks of code on a webpage or app that allow them to do things like read and place cookies and transmit information to us or our partners. The resulting connection can include information such as a device’s IP address, the time a person viewed the pixel, whether a viewer did a particular activity, an identifier associated with the browser or device and the type of browser being used.
- We Collect Information When You Communicate With Us Directly
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH?
We may share our mailing list with trusted partners who sell products or services complementary to our own. To opt out, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We share information with our vendors, as described in this policy, for the purposes of providing services to you. These vendors are not authorized to use or disclose the information, other than to perform their services for us. For example, as we described above, we share information with Sendgrid so that they can operate our mailing list, but they are not authorized to email you directly or share your information with others. The same applies to vendors who operate services for us such as: our forums, our referral program, our job application page, shipping, market research, and payment processing.
Finally, we might also share information in the following specific situations:
- If we receive your consent to do so;
- To make certain aggregated, automatically-collected, or otherwise non-personal information available to third parties for various purposes, including: (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
- If you voluntarily choose to include the information in a publicly accessible area of the Service;
- If we believe we have to in order to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies. If we are about to release your information, we will try to provide you with notice in advance, unless we are legally prohibited from doing so;
- If we believe we have to in order (i) take precautions against liability; (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available; or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others; and
You may, of course, decline to share certain information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the website or Service. You may update, correct, or delete your account information and preferences at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. We will make the changes within a reasonable period of time, we may keep any information for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we might have a legitimate need to do so.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in every email, by sending us your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to us at the address given at the end of this policy. We may allow you to view and modify settings relating to the nature and frequency of promotional communications that you receive from us in user account functionality on the Service.
Please be aware that if you opt out of receiving commercial email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of promotional communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may continue receiving promotional communications from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding the Service.
The website or Service may contain features or links to websites and services provided by third parties. Any information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services, and their own privacy policies apply, even if accessed through our website or Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
We have adopted certain technical, physical and administrative safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of the information that we collect on our site. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. In the event we become aware of a data breach where users’ personally identifiable information has been disclosed to unauthorized third parties, we will make reasonable efforts to let any affected individuals know if we think there is a reasonable risk of harm to those users or if otherwise required to do so by law.
Glowforge is based in Seattle, Washington and incorporated in Delaware. The Service is hosted in the United States and is designed for visitors located within the United States. All personal information we collect may be transferred to the US to be stored or processed, and is subject to US law, which may differ from the European Union or other regions of the world. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 13
Our website is not directed at persons under 13. Consequently, we do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with any personal information, we will take steps to delete such information.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
ATTN: Privacy Complaints
2200 1st Avenue South
Seattle, WA, 98134, USA