Glowforge Tech Specs
Three models to choose from
Our Pro model is designed for frequent, shared use, like a makerspace. It comes with upgraded optics, tube, and cooling. The passthrough lets you use long materials but requires additional safety precautions. Includes an Air Filter.
Adding the recommended Glowforge Air Filter lets you run your Glowforge anywhere without venting.
Our standard model can create everything shown on the Glowforge home page and is perfect for home, hobby, or occasional shop use. It needs ventilation via the provided 4″ diameter (10.2cm) hose. We recommend putting the hose out a window.
What’s an Air Filter and who should buy one?
Lasers normally require some ventilation via a small tube out a nearby window. Our optional Air Filter that sits under Glowforge and ventilates using HEPA filters and charcoal, meaning no outside ventilation is required.
- Glowforge exterior (Pro and Basic): 38″ x 20.75″ x 8.25″ (965mm x 527mm x 210mm)
- Air filter exterior: 38″ x 20.75″ x 7″ (965mm x 527mm x 178mm)
- Glowforge shipping box (Pro and Basic): 46″ x 29″ x 16″ (1168mm x 737mm x 406mm)
- Air filter shipping box (shipped separately): 46″ x 29″ x 12″ (1168mm x 737mm x 308mm)
- Maximum material depth: 18" (455 mm) for Basic; unlimited for Pro
- Maximum material width: 20.4″ (515 mm)
- Cutting area: 11.5″ (290 mm) deep and 20.4″ (515 mm) wide
- Maximum material height: 2″ (50mm)
- Maximum material height with tray: 0.5″ (13mm)
- Maximum Cut & Engrave height: 0.5″ (13mm)
Thickness: Varies by material; can cut most 1/4″ (6mm) plywood and acrylic on one side; twice as thick by reversing and cutting from both sides with optical alignment
Cuts & Engraves
- ...and more
- plexiglass (acrylic)
- Delrin (acetal)
- ceramic tile
- ...and more
- anodized aluminum
- rubber stamps
- Trace mode scans material with a drawing on it, then cuts and engraves over the top
- Compatible with JPG, PNG, TIF, SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, and many more file formats
- Drag-and-drop with live preview to position designs on the material
- Catalog of premium, customizable, ready-to-print designs
One Button Print
- Plugins available for common software including Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape
- New features continually being added
- Wide Angle Camera — View of the entire laser bed
- Macro Camera — Able to view one square inch with resolution of 0.002” (0.05mm)
- Camera can record stills for documentation and sharing of projects
- Optical Thickness Measurement — Optical system measures the height at various points across the material to 0.005” (0.13mm)
- Completely Internal — Lens moves internally up and down inside the head by 0.5” (13mm)
- Continuous Autofocus — Laser focal point can be changed as the head travels, following complex curves during cuts and engraves
- Multipass — Focus can be shifted between engrave passes, allowing detailed depth engraves.
- Focus Override — the laser can be defocused to experiment with a range of techniques that require less intense heat including acrylic bending and cooking
- Dual high-power internal LED strips and camera head illumination
- Near-UV illumination under the laser head for invisible QR and barcode detection
- CO2 Laser — Custom CO2 laser tube capable of continuous operation at 10,600 nm with 100 watt peak power, averages 40 watts for Basic Model and 45 watts for Pro Model
- Laser Quality — Beam diameter of less than 5mm at aperture and divergence of less than 1.2 mrad
- Fixed Alignment — Factory calibrated optical system does not require user calibration
- Sealed Optics — Enclosed optical path with cleanable and replaceable windows protects the laser optics to avoid cleaning, replacement, or realignment
- Visible Laser — 635nm-650nm continuous wave laser with internal power less than 390 microwatts
- Case — High modulus injection molded plastic
- Linear System — Custom extruded aluminum linear rails with belt driven v-wheel carrier
- Motion — Dual hybrid stepper Y axis; single hybrid stepper X axis
- Cooling — Closed loop self contained internal cooling.
- Air Assist — Internal air assist, no external compressor hookup required
- Wi-Fi Connectivity (2.4 GHz b/g/n)
- 110/220 VAC
- 50/60 HZ
- Glowforge Basic and Pro have 800W peak power consumption
- Glowforge air filter has an additional 600W peak power consumption
- Basic model is a CDRH Class 1 Laser Device
- Pro model is a CDRH Class 4 Laser Device
- Positioning precision to 0.001” (0.025mm)
- Engraving at 1000 DPI with 256 power levels
- Passthrough slot allows the use of material that’s up to 1/4″ (6.3mm) high, up to 20” (50.8cm) wide, and as long as desired
- Passthrough software uses the camera to maintain alignment as long material is pushed through
- Laser tube is upgraded from 40 watts to 45 watts
- Higher quality optics provide for more beam power at the head
- Upgraded solid state thermoelectric cooling
- 6 month warranty for Glowforge Basic, 12 month warranty for Glowforge Pro
- If your machine is defective when you receive it, we’ll make it right immediately.
- For US customers, if it develops a problem later that’s our fault, we’ll either (at our option) ship you the parts that need to be replaced along with detailed instructions, or ship it back to us for repair or replacement – in either case, for free, including shipping.
- For international customers, parts and repairs are free, but shipping is not included.
- The warranty covers everything except the air filter cartridges.
- Unfortunately, if you modify your firmware, we can’t cover your Glowforge under warranty (because it’s easy to break your Glowforge by modifying your firmware!)
- The Glowforge Basic unit is a Class 1 laser product.
- The Glowforge Pro is a Class 4 laser product and requires safety precautions.