Glowforge Tech Specs
- Three models to choose from
Glowforge Pro + Air Filter
Our Pro model is designed for frequent, shared use, like a makerspace. It comes with upgraded optics, tube, and cooling. The passthrough lets you use long materials but requires additional safety precautions. Includes an Air Filter.
Glowforge Basic + Air Filter
Adding the recommended Glowforge Air Filter lets you run your Glowforge anywhere without venting.
Our standard model can create everything shown on the Glowforge home page and is perfect for home, hobby, or occasional shop use. It needs ventilation via the provided 4″ diameter (10.2cm) hose. We recommend putting the hose out a window.
What’s an Air Filter and who should buy one?
Lasers normally require some ventilation via a small tube out a nearby window. Our optional Air Filter sits under Glowforge and ventilates using hepa filters and charcoal, meaning no outside ventilation is required.
- Glowforge exterior (Pro and Basic): 38″ x 20.75″ x 8.25″ (965mm x 527mm x 210mm)
Air filter exterior: 38″ x 20.75″ x 7″ (965mm x 527mm x 178mm)
Glowforge shipping box (Pro and Basic): 46″ x 29″ x 16″ (1168mm x 737mm x 406mm)
Air filter shipping box (shipped separately): 46″ x 29″ x 12″ (1168mm x 737mm x 308mm)
- Work Area
- Working bed: 12″ x 20″ (300mm x 500mm)
Maximum thickness of material with tray installed: 0.5″ (13mm)
Maximum thickness of material with tray removed: 2″ (50mm)
Focus range: 0.5″ (13mm)
- Material capability
- Thickness: Varies by material; can cut most 1/4″ (6mm) plywood and acrylic on one side; twice as thick by reversing and cutting from both sides with optical alignment
Cuts & Engraves
- plexiglas (acrylic)
- Delrin (acetal)
- …and more
- rubber stamps
- ceramic tile
- anodized aluminum
- …and more
- Trace mode scans material with a drawing on it, then cuts and engraves over the top
Compatible with JPG, PNG, TIF, SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, and many more file formats
Drag-and-drop with live preview to position designs on the material
Catalog of premium, customizable, ready-to-print designs
- One button print
- Plugins available for common software including Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape
New features continually being added
- Wide Angle Camera — View of the entire laser bed
Macro Camera — Able to view one square inch with resolution of 0.002” (0.05mm)
Camera can record stills for documentation and sharing of projects
Optical Thickness Measurement — Optical system measures the height at various points across the material to 0.005” (0.13mm)
- Completely Internal — Lens moves internally up and down inside the head by 0.5” (13mm)
Continuous Autofocus — Laser focal point can be changed as the head travels, following complex curves during cuts and engraves
Multipass — Focus can be shifted between engrave passes, allowing detailed depth engraves.
Focus Override — the laser can be defocused to experiment with a range of techniques that require less intense heat including acrylic bending and cooking
- Dual high-power internal LED strips and camera head illumination
Near-UV illumination under the laser head for invisible QR and barcode detection
- Laser System
- Custom Laser — Custom CO2 laser tube capable of continuous operation at 10,600 nm averages 40W for Basic Model and 45W for Pro Model
Laser Quality — Beam diameter of less than 5mm at aperture and divergence of less than 1.2 mrad
Fixed Alignment — Factory calibrated optical system does not require user calibration
Sealed Optics — Enclosed optical path with cleanable and replaceable windows protects the laser optics to avoid cleaning, replacement, or realignment
- Case — High modulus injection molded plastic
Linear System — Custom extruded aluminum linear rails with belt driven v-wheel carrier
Motion — Dual hybrid stepper Y axis; single hybrid stepper X axis
Cooling — Closed loop self contained internal cooling.
Air Assist — Internal air assist, no external compressor hookup required
- Wi-Fi Connectivity (2.4 GHz b/g/n)
Glowforge Basic and Pro have 800W peak power consumption
Glowforge air filter has an additional 600W peak power consumption
Basic model is a CDRH Class 1 Laser Device
Pro model is a CDRH Class 4 Laser Device
Positioning precision to 0.001” (0.025mm)
Engraving at 1000 DPI with 256 power levels
- Pro Upgrade
- Passthrough slot allows the use of material that’s up to 1/4″ (6.3mm) high, up to 20” (50.8cm) wide, and as long as desired
Passthrough software uses the camera to maintain alignment as long material is pushed through
Laser tube is upgraded from 40W to 45W
Higher quality optics provide for more beam power at the head
Upgraded solid state thermoelectric cooling
- 6 month warranty for Glowforge Basic, 12 month warranty for Glowforge Pro
If your machine is defective when you receive it, we’ll make it right immediately.
For US customers, if it develops a problem later that’s our fault, we’ll either (at our option) ship you the parts that need to be replaced along with detailed instructions, or ship it back to us for repair or replacement – in either case, for free, including shipping.
For international customers, parts and repairs are free, but shipping is not included.
The warranty covers everything except the air filter cartridges.
Unfortunately, if you modify your firmware, we can’t cover your Glowforge under warranty (because it’s easy to break your Glowforge by modifying your firmware!)
- Safety Notices
- The Glowforge Basic unit is a Class 1 laser product.