Glowforge Tech Specs
Pick Your Model
Choose the most powerful and capable Glowforge. Designed for all-day use. Cuts up to 20% faster, double warranty, and infinitely long prints with the passthrough slot. Upgraded optics, cooling, and laser power. Class 4 laser product.
Perfect for home, hobby, or occasional shop use, a Basic can create anything shown on the Glowforge home page. Sets up in minutes and comes with free software, support, and learning materials. Class 1 laser product.
When you combine your Glowforge Pro or Basic with an Air Filter, you can run your Glowforge anywhere without venting. Without, your Glowforge requires ventilation via a 4” diameter (10.2cm) hose through a window or dryer vent.
What’s an Air Filter and who should buy one?
Lasers - including Glowforge - normally require ventilation to the outdoors, for example through a window or dryer vent. Our Air Filter upgrade sits directly under Glowforge and ventilates using fine particulate filters and charcoal, meaning no outside ventilation is required.
- Glowforge exterior (Pro and Basic): 38″ x 20.75″ x 8.25″ (965mm x 527mm x 210mm)
- Air filter exterior: 38″ x 20.75″ x 7″ (965mm x 527mm x 178mm)
- Maximum material depth: 18" (455 mm) for Basic; unlimited for Pro
- Maximum material width: 20″ (515 mm)
- Cutting area: aprox. 11″ (279 mm) deep and 19.5″ (495 mm) wide
- Maximum material height: 2″ (50mm)
- Maximum material height with tray: 0.5″ (13mm)
Can safely print on any laser-compatible material, with examples below. Glowforge recommends Proofgrade™ materials for automatic settings and perfect results.
Cuts & Engraves
- plexiglass (acrylic)
- Delrin (acetal)
- ...and more
- rubber stamps
- ceramic tile
- anodized aluminum
- ...and more
- Easy and powerful interface will have you printing in minutes
- Web interface works on Mac, PC, Linux, and many mobile devices (internet required)
- Compatible with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, and other file formats
- Drag-and-drop layout with live camera preview to position designs on the material
- Automatically scan drawings and print without design software
- Catalog of premium, customizable, ready-to-print designs
One Button Print
When used with Proofgrade materials, automatically determines settings for perfect cutting and engraving
- Wide Angle Camera — Mounted on the lid, provides a view of the entire printable area, accurate within 0.25" (6mm)
- Macro Camera — Mounted on the head, provides extreme up-close information for autofocus, accurate within 0.004" (0.1mm)
- Exquisitely precise — low-power laser measurement scans the surface of the material to determine the exact height
- Completely Internal — Lens moves internally up and down inside the head to print on materials up to 0.5” (13mm) thick
- Multipass — Focus can be shifted between engrave passes, allowing detailed depth engraves
- Manual focus option — the laser can be focused at a precise height to experiment with a range of techniques
- Dual high-efficiency internal LED strips give your work broad illumination for a wide angle view
- Headlights under the lid give point illumination for precise precisioning
- CO2 Laser — Custom CO2 glass laser tube capable of continuous operation at 10,600 nm; rated at 40 watts for Basic Model and 45 watts for Pro Model
- Fixed Alignment — Factory calibrated optical system does not require any alignment by the user
- Sealed Optics — Enclosed optical path with cleanable and replaceable windows protects the laser optics to avoid replacement or realignment
- Case — High modulus injection molded plastic
- Linear System — Custom extruded aluminum linear rails with belt driven v-wheel carrier
- Motion — Dual hybrid stepper Y axis; single hybrid stepper X axis
- Cooling — Closed loop self contained internal cooling.
- Air Assist — Internal air assist with no external compressor hookup required
- Recommended Operating Temperature: 60F-75F (16C-25C) Basic; 60F-81F (16C-27C) Pro
- 110/220 VAC
- 50/60 HZ
- Wi-Fi required (2.4 GHz b/g/n and WPA2, WPA, WEP, or open)
- Glowforge Basic and Pro have 800W peak power consumption
- Glowforge air filter has an additional 600W peak power consumption
- Basic model is a CDRH Class 1 Laser Device
- Pro model is a CDRH Class 4 Laser Device
- Positioning precision to 0.001” (0.025mm)
- Engraving up to 1355 DPI
- Passthrough slot allows the use of material that’s up to 1/4″ (6.3mm) high, up to 20” (50.8cm) wide, and as long as desired
- Laser tube is upgraded from 40 watts to 45 watts
- Higher quality optics provide for more beam power at the head
- Faster cutting speeds
- Upgraded solid state thermoelectric cooling
- Double warranty
Full warranty at glowforge.com/warranty
The Glowforge Basic unit is a Class 1 laser product.
The Glowforge Pro is a Class 4 laser product and requires additional safety precautions.