Hi all! Decided to try my first engrave based on my baby’s footprint stamp (he’s 2 months old now!)
Overall, I didn’t do much to further optimize the image, though I’m sure I’d get even better results if I did. In short, here’s what I did:
- Scanned the footprint using a regular HP scanner
- Greyscaled the image
- Uploaded it to the Glowforge UI
- Decided to do a manual engrave & did an ordered dither (45 min level / 90 max level)
- Popped in 1/8 inch maple hardwood
- Engraved it! Took about 5 minutes
I then decided after the fact to cut it out with a hole for a key ring or ornament hook. This was a good test of the camera alignment. I rescanned the bed with the engraved foot, and dragged in an outline for the cut I created in inkscape on top of it. The alignment was spot on!
I’ll do a few more of these for family members & will probably iterate on the process to see if I can get even better results! I’m open for any recommendations!