This one is currently a problem child that I get asked about occasionally, so I’m reworking it for laser use. (Not quite done yet - it needs some serious size tweaking, this one holds too many batteries, but I figured I could show what it will look like done in the three Proofgrade plywood materials currently on offer. These are 1/8" ply, but I’ve got the current file set up to parametrically adjust for any thickness wood up to 6 mm. Frankly, it’s scary.)
The file uses a shallow mortise and tenon treatment (with glue) to hide the construction. The fun part is the interior fins…I wanted to do something different with them, in case I want to play with putting a clear side on the box some day.
Oldest batteries go in at the top and out at the bottom in the order they were purchased, so instead of digging through a box of double AAs to find the oldest ones to use them up first, the dispenser takes care of it automatically.
Anyhow…future fun. (I need to work one up for AAA batteries too. Got boxes of both around here.)
(Oh…it has cherry front and back panels, maple side panels, and walnut fins, top and bottom. I love the way we can mix these woods.)