Cell phone fix
Posted by
jwalton
Ottawa, Ontario 
Joined Oct 12, '15 

This is project #3. Project #2 needs a little bit of a write up. :slight_smile:

I recently replaced the battery on my Nexus 6P. The phone is largely held together with glue, so this involves a bit of work with a heat gun, loosening things up. I overdid it a little on this plastic panel on the back, and made a little bubble where there’s a small void underneath it, and also somehow I put a crack in the panel:

But, lasers to the rescue! Pew pew pew!

This would have been the perfect opportunity to use some proofgrade veneer with the peel off sticky back. I already had some non-PG oak veneer in my GF from the aforementioned project #2, though, so I put the old plastic bit from my phone on my flatbed scanner, traced the outline in Inkscape, and cut this out of a scrap. That meant I had to give it a couple of coats of polyurethane, and I used some 3M 77 spray adhesive on the back (I want something that’s not TOO sticky, in case I have to open up this phone again.) It would have been much easier to do this with proofgrade, and I wouldn’t be cleaning bits of 3M 77 off of everything. :stuck_out_tongue:


Hundreds of ideas brought to life
Explore projects.
Another restoration victory

Toilet Humor, or: How the Glowforge has maybe saved me $114!

So, I needed a 3-inch wrench

Headset repair