It has been way too long since i have posted any of my recent work. To kick off 2019 I wanted to get in the habit of posting again, so over the next few days i will be posting some of my favorite projects of 2018.
To start things off i wanted to share this engraving I made for some friends. I have been waiting for the right project to test out snapmark and this one was perfect.
I will start off be saying that this could be potentially dangerous depending on the resin you use since there is a possibility that some resin will burned. That being said the resin I used does not fall in that category. But based on the fact that only alignment error would cause my to engrave the resin and the material sheet only listed carbon monoxide as the worst byproduct i decided to go forward with it. I am currently looking for a better option for any future projects.
Enough of the warnings, let get to the good stuff.
This was done in a 2-step process where I engraved the black section and filled it with resin. Then i sanded it down and re-aligned the block with a snapmark jig i made. The jig is based on@takitus’s jig. Then the white section is engraved and filled with the white resin.
Overall the process worked flawlessly. I was super impressed on how well snapmarks work for realigned. I will say that it is incredibly slow but dead on for my unit. I think it took roughly 2 minutes each time to align. So i wont be using it for any large repetitive runs do to the added time. But for small projects and one-off it was fantastic. Way to go @dan and team.
I forgot to document the whole process but here are a few from some testing i was working on.
Here is a test piece with the snapmark jig.
This one will drive people crazy on how dirty my machine got just before Christmas. This is what cutting 100 boxes of proofgrade walnut will do to your machine. I am planning a major cleaning soon since it is getting really back inside.
This last one is after i poured the white fill.