Warped Hardwood or Plywood
When natural products like hardwoods and plywoods are exposed to temperature and humidity changes, they change shape. This is known as “warp.” It is especially common after shipping or during the Glowforge printing process. In both cases, the warp will diminish with time. However, improper storage can cause permanent warping. Your Glowforge can print beautifully on materials with some warp, but here are some tips to reduce it.
Humidity and heat from shipping and printing may cause your materials to temporarily warp. If this occurs, unwrap them and store them, per the instructions below. They will relax and their warp will lessen over the course of about a week.
- Upon arrival, immediately store your materials in a cool, shaded, dry place
- Stack materials on a clean surface. Stacking warped material on top of other warped material can make the problem worse
- To prevent discoloration or damage, keep them out of direct sunlight
- If your materials need to be stored in a humid area, wrap them with plastic wrap or shrink wrap to keep moisture out
- To ensure your materials stay flat, stack heavy objects on top of your materials
- Distribute weight evenly on top of the material. If possible, use a flat object like a textbook.
If your material is so warped that it cannot print successfully and these suggestions don’t help, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.