- Your First Prints
- 1: Gift of Good Measure
- 2: A Snap and Store Box with Your Personal Touch
- 3: Make a Gift Tag from Scratch
- Shortcut Keys
- Quick: Transform a Drawing Into a Print
- Quick: Print Your Own File
- Quick: Cut Out a Shape
- Quick: Engrave and Cut Out a Photo
- Quick: Print Text
- Introducing Inkscape
- Prep a Photo Engrave in Gimp
- Prep a Photo Engrave in Photoshop
- Working With Manual Mode
Inkscape is a professional quality vector graphics editor that’s available for free. It runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux operating systems. Since it’s so accessible, we use it for examples and troubleshooting.
If you run into a snag with a file or an upload, we may suggest that you open it in Inkscape -- it’s a way for us to make sure we’re looking at the same thing as we work together.
Installing Inkscape involves a quick download from the Inkscape site.
- You can download and install the Windows version of Inkscape here. If you’re not sure which version to download, the 32-bit .exe is the most compatible (although it’s slower).
- You can download and install the Mac OS X version of Inkscape here. It requires some extra steps to install XQuartz first, but instructions are provided. XQuartz is a free application that enables you to run a Windows program on a Mac. One impact is that keyboard shortcuts in Inkscape on a Mac use Control instead of Command.
Save Your File
- Go to the “File” Menu and click “Save As”
- Type your File name
- Choose “Plain SVG”