Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
Until now, maker tools have been excruciating to use. The software, the buying process, and the communication is complex, bland, unclear, inconsistent and really, really not beautiful.
Glowforge is different. We’re a 3D laser printer for everyone-- and designers like you are the people who can truly cause it to issue forth magical beauty.
Every time a customer reaches out to us, from the first time they visit our web site to their 1000th time using the software, our experience must be beautiful, clear, and visually consistent.
We need you to create the visual language that we’ll be using for decades to come. That visual language represents who we are, what we stand for, and the beauty that we want to create in the world.
Here's what you'll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
- Making things beautiful and useful whenever Glowforge interacts with the world– including with visual design for our public website, software tools, design catalog, help system, and more. Expect to wear lots of hats!
- Participating in designing our core software experience, from giving input on wireframing and UX, designing UI, and taking existing UI designs and making them better.
- Learning and mastering tools that will help you help our customers - from 3D printers to laser cutters and more.
You have these core qualifications
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience, plus working experience in a fast-paced design environment (startup or agency).
- You’re a proven digital artist. Armed only with Adobe Illustrator and your brain, you can make beautiful original illustrations in a variety of styles that communicate ideas better than words could.
- You have a breathtaking portfolio of your work.
- You’re an expert with multiple design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Sketch.
- You can take minimal information, ask some thoughtful questions, and turn that into a an amazing-but-succinct design brief.
- You’re a great communicator — you set the right expectations and communicate as projects progress.
- You take initiative. When your projects stall, you’ll walk through brick walls to get them moving again.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if...
- You love the art and science of marketing.
- You write great microcopy.
- You’ve worked (or played around extensively) with 3D programs like Sketchup, AutoCAD, RhinoCAD, and more.
- You’ve done some motion design.
- You are good at interactive design.
- You’ve already mastered maker tools like lasers, 3D printers, sewing machines, or vinyl cutters.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about any creative outlets in your life beyond work. Do you draw? Enjoy woodworking? Leatherworking? Papercraft? Glitter? We want to know.
Include a link to your online portfolio (preferred) or attach a PDF portfolio. Include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.