UI / Visual Designer
So here’s the thing: we’re reinventing homemade by giving people a magical box that can print a limitless variety of beautiful and useful products. With lasers!
Our founders are three geeks of different subspecies (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and maker space, with 3D printers, scrapbook cutters, optical benches, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. If you like to make things, you’re going to have a lot of fun here.
We managed to land a set of investors who not just help us but inspire us: entrepreneurs like Bre Pettis, Greg McAdoo, Hiten Shah, Chris DiBona, Renee DiResta, and Ben Elowitz. We’re fully funded now and working hard to make Glowforges available in December, but we’ve got a lot to do to make that happen! That’s where you come in.
We need a “full-stack” designer– someone who is not too proud to do “make something beautiful” design when it’s needed, but can also dive into UI/UX of our core user experience(s).
- Making things beautiful and useful whenever Glowforge interacts with the world– including with visual design for our public website, blog posts, occasional ads for online, office signage, and other random things.
- Participating in designing our core software experience, from giving input on wireframing and UX, designing UI, and taking existing UI designs and making them better
- Exploring tools that might initially be beyond your comfort zone, like 3D printers, laser cutters, and more.
You have these core qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in design or equivalent additional experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in a fast-paced design environment (startup or agency).
- You have a breathtaking portfolio of your work you can share with us.
- You’re an expert with the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- You’re comfortable with MS Office and Google Docs.
- You’re a proven digital artist. Armed only with Adobe Illustrator and your brain, you can make beautiful original illustrations in a variety of styles that communicate ideas better than words could.
- You can take minimal information, ask some thoughtful questions, and turn that into a an amazing-but-succinct design brief.
- You’re a great communicator — you set the right expectations and communicate as projects progress.
- You take initiative. When your projects stall, you’ll walk through brick walls to get them moving again.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You love the art and science of marketing.
- You write great microcopy.
- You’ve worked (or played around extensively) with 3D programs like Sketchup, AutoCAD, RhinoCAD, and more.
- You’ve done some video production.
- You are social media savvy (Twitter, Instagram, Dribbble, etc).
- You are good at (or enjoy thinking about) interactive design.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about any creative outlets in your life beyond work. Do you draw? Enjoy woodworking? Leatherworking? Papercraft? Glitter? We want to know.
Include a link to your online portfolio (preferred) or attach a PDF portfolio. Include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.