Technical Support Specialist - Software
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you
Glowforge isn’t just a beautiful piece of hardware, it’s a living growing platform that includes hardware, cloud based software, a catalog of designs and a community of talented makers exploring the limits of what they can do with their Glowforge printer. We want our customers to be delighted with their Glowforge but sometimes they hit a snag and need a little help. You’re one of the keys to their success, whether it’s sifting through logs to find and document a bug or reproducing a problem to find the exact part of the process where things don’t work as expected. You’re help our team understand the problems our customers are experiencing so we can improve the product for everyone. You’ll help our customers navigate the system so they can get back to realizing their vision and making their creations. When our customers hit a snag you’ll be the difference between them walking away frustrated or coming away informed and excited to use their Glowforge for years to come.
Here's what you'll be doing
- Troubleshooting the tricky questions. Where did the problem happen: is it client side or server side? Why did this file succeed and that similar file fail?
- Communicating elegantly. You’ll respond to our customer’s complex questions with easy to understand emails, and you’ll work across departments at Glowforge to identify solutions.
- Writing. You’ll create both technical troubleshooting documents that are used by the team internally and self service articles that get our customers back on track.
- Building. You’ll be paying attention to what our customers are thrilled and bothered by, and you’ll lead projects to develop our systems, policies, and processes. You’ll help the rest of the team learn and grow, too.
- Breathing. You’ll keep a positive disposition and level head even during the worst of times - like late on a holiday when a customer is rightfully upset because something’s broken, and you’re the only one they have to talk to about it.
You need these qualifications
- You have a four-year technical degree or equivalent experience.
- You have professional experience working closely with a variety of people and helping them solve their problems.
- You are very good at troubleshooting technical problems across web services, internet connections, hardware, or software.
- You’re tenacious, organized and comfortable diving into data or partnering with customers to delve into the unknown.
- You write well, communicate clearly, and listen like a champion.
It would be nice if...
- You have 3+ years of experience working with customers to solve their technical challenges.
- Your motto is “I can fix that.” You are the person who family and friends go to for answers when their technology isn’t working, and you love it.
- You have experience working with 3D printers, CNC mills, laser cutter/engravers, or other fabrication technology.
- You have experience working with vector design or CAD software, Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Fusion 360, Solidworks or similar
- You love making things - knitting, woodworking, 3D printing, furniture building - it doesn’t matter what.
Please send us your resume, and – more importantly – a cover letter that tells us about your interest here. If you have public examples of your writing, like a blog or website, please send us a link to those too. We’re excited to meet you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.