Staff Writer to the CEO
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, please check out our video on glowforge.com to learn a bit more about us.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
Our CEO talks.
As CEO, Dan is cheerleader in chief. From blog posts to press releases, speeches to emails, the written word is what connects our company together, and what connects us to each other. He also plays a functional role in guiding product development. This combination creates a constant communication flow across Dan’s (virtual) desk.
You’re that conduit - that connector! Your writing will fundamentally shape the company – within and without – and help everyone work better together.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll be the one Dan relies on to create communications with the world, refine communications with colleagues, and help him show up at his best with the greatest number of people.
In his role as the head of product for Glowforge, Dan also collaborates on product writing - and you’ll take on some of that work, too. From announcements to user interface text, you’ll partner with the product team to infuse clarity and delight into customer communication.
Beyond that, you’re a student of human nature. You are thoughtful about what people love to read and what makes them wrinkle their noses. You don’t just go on gut feel either – your writing is strongly influenced by evidence from fields like psychology and economics. You apply this knowledge to write effective, memorable, persuasive pieces. You read great marketing copy and beam at their polished handiwork of the person behind it; you read bad copy and are tempted to rewrite it yourself on general principle.
You noticed the typo in the previous sentence. You always notice the typos.
More practically, you’ll be…
- Writing for our CEO across an enormous variety of media, from ghost-drafting emails, to long form blog posts, to public speeches
- Perfectly emulating Dan’s writing style, and learning to read his mind about how he approaches topics and information
- Crafting copy for our product experiences in ways that reflect the trusted, long term relationship we’ve developed with our customers over the years
- Magnifying the company's impact from outside the spotlight
You need these qualifications
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience, like a proven track record of stellar work out in the world.
- You’ve written an immense amount of copy, some of which you’re proud of and can share.
- You are thoughtful about writing persuasively; everything from sincere and heartfelt communications to headlines that make you want to click.
- You are deeply, personally excited about what we’re creating at Glowforge.
- You write really, really good emails. People love your emails.
It would be nice if…
- You have experience in technology and/or startups.
- You have written in a broad variety of voices and styles.
- You are technically adept and comfortable learning and then writing about new technology in detail.
- You are a social media maestro, and have demonstrated the ability to build big followings on multiple platforms.
Please include your writing portfolio, plus a resume or Linkedin link. And please, send us a cover letter that shows us what you can do!There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to have you join us.