Sr. Data Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCaqh38JVQ
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference. Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth.
We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything. We'd love to have you join us. We're a remote-first company - just let us know where you prefer to work from.
Why We Need You
We need you to help transform Glowforge through data. Everything we do generates data. You provide reliable and validated data to drive magical customer experiences and accurate business decisions. One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software and the software from device to the cloud.
Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process fabulous and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. That software generates a tremendous amount of data we use to create, improve, and polish new product experiences for our customers. Our company succeeds only through insight and vision. Our data is precious, but it’s worthless without you. You create the tools that allow us to see.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- You will direct our data architecture and engineering, including design, modeling, tooling, and best practices.
- You will work with our internal tools and data team to develop and deploy new tools to protect, govern, validate and maintain the data sources used by analysts across the company.
- You will have a tremendous influence on the everyday productivity of other teams, as the tools and processes you will work on will profoundly improve their effectiveness and decision-making.
- You will partner with people across the organization to understand business analytics needs and deploy strategic solutions to address those needs.
- You will partner with product teams to understand our customer experience and radically improve the performance of our products.
You need these qualifications
- You understand how data can impact every aspect of a business and are familiar with different architectures and approaches used to collect, transform, analyze, and synthesize data.
- You have an infectious passion for data, demonstrated in the tools you've built and how you help others understand the power of data.
- You have a four-year degree or equivalent experience and at least three years of industry experience.
- You have extensive experience working with and creating data architectures.
- You have proven experience working with BigQuery, ETL/ELT concepts, and a variety of data engineering languages, tools, and databases.
It would be nice if ...
- You’re a passionate builder, crafter, or maker.
- You’ve worked in and/or understand the challenges of a start-up.
- You care deeply about customer experience and ease of use.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can join us.