Special Assistant to The CEO
Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
We are a small company with enormous sales and an amazing future ahead. Even as we grow our team, every one of us is leveraged tenfold.
You are going to be our ultimate multiplier. Dan is called on to do dozens of things each day. You will to be the secret to making them all happen. With you, the idea that was created on a Monday is researched by Tuesday and sketched into a draft plan by Wednesday. He can be in three cities in a single day without missing a press interview or investor demonstration. Dan appears to have a supernatural recollection of important details, even though he is actually the sort who tends to forget to bring clean socks.
You’re going to help us outmaneuver companies a dozen times our size and build Glowforge into a company that will be admired for years to come. You’ll be a pillar of the company culture, responsible for projects and initiatives from tiny to groundshaking, and someone who grows into ever greater responsibilities.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
- Taking on exploratory tasks like sourcing unusual materials, running down obscure products, and researching major purchases
- Running errands, keeping things organized, pouring coffee down Dan’s throat when he forgets to do it himself
- Diving deep into exploratory ideas, researching and building expertise quickly on subjects as diverse as startup financing, the ecosystem of players in the hardware community, and the mechanics of how CNC laser cutter/engravers work.
- Owning, protecting, and streamlining Dan Shapiro’s madcap calendar including travel plans and events, domestically and internationally
- Being “ghost Dan” from time to time by drafting emails, blog posts, and other written materials.
- Learning new skills, advancing your abilities, and taking on ever greater challenges
You need these qualifications
- You enjoy technology and don’t hesitate to learn new software or technical skills. You already have excellent office computer skills.
- You’ve accomplished something truly remarkable in your life that demonstrates that you are extraordinary: a degree from a great school, a major national prize, a business you’ve started, a tremendous following on social media… anything that sets you apart.
- You are an outstanding writer who is comfortable with styles ranging from formal to funny.
Please be sure to tell us about these last two things in your cover letter!
It would be nice if…
- You have significant engineering, science, math, and/or technology experience (e.g. programming, 3D printing, website design, a degree in a science/math/engineering field)
- You have relevant work experience (executive assistance, entrepreneurship, travel management, bookkeeping, writing, office management)
- You are passionate about making things – sewing, woodworking, scrapbooking, or anything else.
Please send us your resume, and – more importantly – a cover letter that tells us about your interest in this role. If you have any supplementary information, like an online portfolio, please share that with us too.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.