Software Development Manager
Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. We’ve assembled an incredible software team to do the heavy lifting on innovation from motion planning to user interface to machine vision. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. Our team’s incredible, and we owe them a gifted and passionate leader like you, who can lead them as they bring a sublime experience to each and every Glowforge customer.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You’re going to lead an incredibly talented team of software engineers in constantly improving and innovating on the Glowforge platform. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in firmware, hardware, and manufacturing to provide ever greater capabilities to our current customers, while supporting the needs of both the existing factory and future product design.
- Developing excellent engineering processes with our passionate team of developers.
- Finding and interviewing candidates who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Still make time to write high quality code, as well as participate in code reviews and detailed design sessions.
- Working closely with our mechanical, electrical, design, product, and marketing teams to understand every aspect of the product and its customers.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and can help build the user stories, requirements and specifications that will drive development.
You need these qualifications
- You’ve led the engineering team that shipped a product people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with engineers.
- You’re thoughtful about systems engineering, design patterns, and algorithms.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if...
- You’re comfortable with back-end server technologies and designing for the *ilities (testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
- You’re experienced with hardware challenges around drivers, motion controller algorithms, and/or low-level code (you’ll be working closely with the hardware team and may have the opportunity to build low-level interfaces).
- You have graphics or machine vision experience
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.