Software Development Manager (Seattle, full-time)
Our founders are three geeks of different subspecies (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and maker space, with 3D printers, scrapbook cutters, optical benches, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. If you like to make things, you’re going to have a lot of fun here.
We managed to land a set of investors who not just help us but inspire us: entrepreneurs like Bre Pettis, Greg McAdoo, Hiten Shah, Chris DiBona, Renee DiResta, and Ben Elowitz. We’re fully funded now and working hard to make Glowforges available ASAP, but we’ve got a lot to do to make that happen! That’s where you come in.
We’re building up an incredibly gifted engineering team that hails from places like Apple, Google, and BoingBoing. Now we’re looking for a software engineering leader who can help scale the team: someone to mentor junior people straight out of college, interview experienced engineers, and help the team make the architectural decisions and process choices that set us up for long term success.
- Developing excellent engineering processes with our passionate team of developers.
- Finding and interviewing candidates who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Still be making time to write high quality code, as well as participate in code reviews and detailed design sessions.
- Working closely with our mechanical, electrical, design, product, and marketing teams to understand every aspect of the product and its customers.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and can help build the user stories, requirements and specifications that will drive development.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You have these core qualifications:
- You’ve led the engineering team that shipped a product people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with engineers.
- You’re thoughtful about systems engineering, design patterns, and algorithms.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You’re comfortable with back-end server technologies and designing for the *ilities (testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
- You’re experienced with hardware challenges around drivers, motion controller algorithms, and/or low-level code (you’ll be working closely with the hardware team and may have the opportunity to build low-level interfaces).
- You have graphics experience
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.