Software Development Engineer in Test
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
One of the unique things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. We rely on multiple components, from web to embedded, to bring this functionality to our users, and our focus is on making the overall product as reliable as it can be.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around software quality and automation. Our customers’ Glowforges are their tools. Tools are used daily when they are reliable and trustworthy, and abandoned when they’re not. That means it’s your expertise in software quality that is the difference between a magnificent product people love and the world’s worst paperweight. It’s you who will elevate our customers’ experience from “web-connected gadget” to “life-changing innovation”.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll be working with multiple teams, from full-stack web developers to embedded systems engineers, to deliver new functionality, improved reliability, and creating entire new accessories and features for Glowforge customers. That means:
- Designing and developing test automation to exercise the end-to-end system functionality and performance
- Working directly with developers, tech leads, and product managers to ensure requirements are well understood and accurately implemented
- Staying on top of the latest developments and best practices for measuring quality in internet-enabled devices
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You need these qualifications
- You have 3+ years of professional experience in integration and performance testing of web systems
- You’ve demonstrated experience in test framework architecture and design
- You have a thorough understanding and are passionate about the software development lifecycle, and its implementation within agile, scrum, lean, etc.
It would be nice if...
- You’ve worked in and understand the challenges of the IoT space
- You have exposure to digital image processing, vision, or robotics
- You’re insatiably curious with QEMU, and embedded devices such as BeagleBone or RaspberryPi’s
- You have exposure to cloud operations, including deployment and orchestration, on AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love
- You have start-up experience working in a fast-paced environment
- While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of industry experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or you’ve been a veteran architect for decades.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or GitHub account is fine. We can’t wait to meet you.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.