Senior Visual Designer
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
Until now, maker tools have been excruciating to use. The software, the buying process, and the communication is complex, bland, unclear, inconsistent and really, really not beautiful.
Glowforge is different. We’re a 3D laser printer for everyone-- and designers like you are the people who can truly cause it to issue forth magical beauty.
Every time a customer reaches out to us, from the first time they visit our web site to their 1000th time using the software, our experience must be beautiful, clear, and visually coherent.
We need you to author the visual language that we’ll be using for years to come. That visual language represents who we are, what we stand for, and the beauty that we want to create in the world.
- Making things beautiful and useful whenever Glowforge interacts with the world – our software, our public website, and our printed product materials, to name a few. Expect to wear lots of hats!
- Giving input on wireframing and UX, designing UI, and taking existing UI designs and making them better.
- Learning and mastering tools that will help you help our customers - from 3D printers to laser cutters and more.
You have these core qualifications:
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience and 5+ years working in a fast-paced design environment (startup or agency).
- You have a breathtaking portfolio.
- You've done design for a product, either hardware or software, that people love.
- You’re an expert at using digital visual design tools (e.g. Adobe suite) to create beautiful, clear, and compelling work.
- You can take minimal information, ask some thoughtful questions, and iterate with your co-workers to create something magical.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You love the art and science of marketing.
- You have skills in industrial, motion, and/or interactive design.
- You have experience both using and designing amazing hardware.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about any creative outlets in your life beyond work. Do you draw? Enjoy woodworking? Leatherworking? Papercraft? Glitter? We want to know.
Include a link to your online portfolio (preferred) or attach a PDF portfolio. Include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.