Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity.
Why we need you:
We created the Glowforge with only a single, glowing button. There’s no control panel. No tiny screen. We decided to put the entire software experience somewhere you already love, like your Mac, tablet, or phone. We’re a company that’s all about moving complexity out of hardware and over to software, where brilliant minds like you can carefully craft it to provide an intuitive and delightful experience.
You are an amazing user experience designer who has saved products from the fate of unbreachable complexity. You transform difficulty and chaos to beauty and enchanting simplicity. It is you who will enable every Glowforge owner to unlock their creative superpowers.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
As a designer, the core of your job is taking ideas for delighting customers and turning them into actionable work for our engineering team. Your tools of the trade include wireframes, high-fidelity designs, clickable mockups, customer interviews and old fashioned specifications – whatever the situation calls for. You’ll help turn murky ideas into a paint-by-numbers plan to solve our customer’s’ problems and unlock their creativity in ways that astonish and enchant them.
Because you’re so thoughtful and experienced, the whole time you’ll be keeping an eye on the product vision – no matter how tiny the feature is.
We are a company for people who are passionate about bringing things to life. If you relish the challenge of growing a small company from tens of millions of dollars in pre-orders to billions in revenue, you’re going to have an amazing time at Glowforge.
- You will work with our product managers and executives to birth, develop, and prioritize design efforts from quick features to sweeping initiatives.
- You will work directly with our engineering team to provide details, insight and guidance as your work evolves, using everything from a spec to an email to a whiteboard sketch; whatever the job demands
- You will be in a constant state of evaluating feedback and data to make your designs better. A designer at Glowforge is part artist, part scientist, part psychologist.
- You will be a core member of the design team helping to make things more beautiful whenever Glowforge interacts with the world. While you’ll spend most of your time on the software experience, you’ll pitch in to help your teammates with other projects like our website, marketing materials, and other efforts that can benefit from your expertise.
You have these core qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in design or equivalent additional experience plus at least 5 years of experience in a fast-paced interactive design environment.
- You’ve been the primary designer for a consumer software experience that has been loved by many people.
- You are quicker than lightning with your favorite contemporary design tools (for example Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, Omnigraffle, Zeplin, Axure, etc).
- You’re humble. Your design work isn’t precious to you– you care more about successful outcomes and happy customers than the integrity of your design vision.
- You take initiative. When your projects stall, you’ll walk through brick walls to get them moving again.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You love the art and science of marketing
- You’re an engaging, persuasive, intriguing, and/or funny writer
- You’ve worked (or played around extensively) with 3D programs like Sketchup, AutoCAD, RhinoCAD, and more
- You’ve done some video production
- You have previous startup experience
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about any creative outlets in your life beyond work. Do you draw? Enjoy woodworking? Leatherworking? Papercraft? Glitter? We want to know.
Include a link to your online portfolio (preferred) or attach a PDF portfolio. We can’t wait to see it! Include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.