Senior Software Systems Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this wonderful city.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Our software is the heart of our business, and we need you to make it successful. We want your passion and thoughtfulness around the most fundamental aspects of our stack. We’ll ask you to tackle challenges in the services that process every print and drive every Glowforge printer while you spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Work with other engineers on our software, hardware, and manufacturing teams to ensure that printing on a Glowforge is a reliable and delightful experience.
- Collaborate with product managers to iterate on plans, translate those plans to architecture and implementation designs, and then ship the resulting backend services and APIs. Sometimes all on the same day!
- Partner with frontend specialists to implement full-stack features that help our customers get the most out of their Glowforge.
You need these qualifications
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience developing back-end applications and a relevant 4-year degree or equivalent experience.
- You understand how to engineer secure, efficient, maintainable, and future-proof distributed systems.
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code. And you wouldn’t dream of shipping it without automated tests.
- You handle the details of things like HTTP caching, load balancing, proxies, monitoring and alerting, and can navigate the complexities of modern web technologies (e.g. CORS).
- You’ve shipped a product that people adore.
- You love that your work is highly impactful and critical to our success.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and know that you sometimes have to make tradeoffs to ship quickly!
It would be nice if you…
- Already know some subset of C++, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Python, Rust, serverless functions, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, and Terraform (and you can learn more of them at Glowforge!)
- Have worked in a microservice or serverless environment.
- Have data analysis skills that you can use to drive implementation decisions and parameter tuning.
- Have experience with firmware development.
- Have worked on consumer Internet of Things (IoT) products.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. We can’t wait to meet you.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can join us.