Senior Software Engineer
Remote - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us!
We're a remote-first company - just let us know where you prefer to work from.
Why we need you
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it absurdly easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Our team works across a wide variety of business areas and stacks – everything from Glowforge.com to our app, backend services, firmware, manufacturing software, business systems, and data warehouses - and everything in between. We’ll ask you to take on a broad range of challenges and partner with collaborators from multiple teams. You’ll have many opportunities to learn, move the needle for our business, and share your knowledge and experience.
While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of proven experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or have decades of experience.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us craft extraordinary products! That will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- We work in a wide range of stacks, including C++, Rust, Rails, Node, Python, and React/NextJS. You’ll help us make wise decisions about what languages, tools, and SaaS products to incorporate.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team; building the user stories, requirements, and specifications that drive development.
- Creating quick prototypes, MVP solutions, and production-strength features.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You are comfortable and demonstrably productive in at least two of these areas: firmware, cloud, and frontend development.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a software product that people love.
- You enjoy moving between projects, adapting to changing priorities, and quickly diving in where we need it most to have a huge impact for our customers and business.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You’re experienced with back-end server technologies and designing for the ilities (testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
- You’re familiar with hardware challenges like drivers, motion controller algorithms, or low-level code
- You have graphics, computer vision, or machine learning experience.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.