Senior Product Manager, Catalog (Seattle, full-time)
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses lasers to carve and engrave beautiful products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll see something amazing: Glowforge has had the biggest crowdfunding campaign ever. Bigger than any Kickstarter, bigger than any Indiegogo campaign. People love what we’re creating and can’t wait to get their Glowforge so they can start creating things themselves…
Why we need you
We’re not building a power tool for the digerati that requires years of training and experimentation. We’re building a printer: the first printer that can, with the push of a button, print things that you know and love.
While some folks are happy to slave away for hours creating designs from scratch, your job is for everyone else: to create the catalog of beautiful, compelling designs that makes it easy for people to customize and print the things they want. You’ll be working with a team of designers who create these masterpieces, and delivering them to the world through a beautiful and intuitive interface.
This is the app-store to our iphone: it’s the thing that makes our product something that absolutely anyone can use to print nearly anything.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- You’ll work with the executive team to define the catalog vision and communicate it clearly to the team.
- You’ll work with other product owners to coordinate your efforts with the Glowforge printing process, the materials supply business, our community, and other aspects of the Glowforge experience.
- You’ll work with our engineering leadership to establish technical requirements for the catalog around how our customers interact with it, credit card processing, internal reporting, performance requirements, and more.
- You’ll work with an agile team of engineers and designers every day to turn this vision into a v1.0 reality with a rapidly evolving plan as we learn more about our customers.
- You’ll work with a team of plans designers to flesh out a foundation of covetworthy designs– things like laptop skins, jewelry, artwork, toys, desktop accessories, leather goods, footwear, lighting, housewares, and more.
- You’ll also explore other avenues to expand the catalog inventory, including courting designers around the world, and potentially building a system to allow app-store-like submissions (which introduces a whole new swath of product challenges).
- Post-launch, you’ll improve and expand the catalog armed with both data and insight. You’ll be testing and measuring constantly– collecting smart opinions from your colleagues at Glowforge, doing qualitative user testing, and scouring our analytics for data that can help you shape the product.
You’ll Need These Qualifications:
- You’ve worked in the world of e-commerce for 3 or more years
- You have extensive management experience, whether it’s as a PM at a thriving e-commerce company or as a leader at a small startup.
- You’re smart about design– ALL of it. From usability to visual appeal, what the user experiences and feels is your North Star. The magnetic north on your compass. The X on your Treasure Map. The thing you wake up thinking about.
- You have experience doing qualitative user research
- You have great taste and a nose for products that people will love.
- You like the people you recruit and love the people you hire, staying close to them throughout their career.
- You’re eager to build an extraordinary company with us!
It would be nice if…
- You have a background in design or engineering.
- You love making things with your hands – 3D printing, knitting, woodworking, furniture building; it doesn’t matter what.
- Please send us your resume, and – more importantly – a cover letter that tells us about your interest here. We’re excited to meet you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.