Senior Product Manager, Software
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
Every product that Glowforge creates is designed around one simple idea: make it easy for anyone to make useful and beautiful things.
Behind that simplicity is massive amounts of engineering, huge operational infrastructure, and… you. Your vision, deep technical and human knowledge, and keen insight are what make the future features and products from our company even more compelling than what we’ve built already.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Designing an experience for the Glowforge ecosystem requires understanding many domains. There are complexities around hardware, software, and the network.
Your speciality is to create products that are valuable, delightful, easy-to-use, and most of all, that ship. You’ll be juggling considerations from the best customers in the world, passionate coworkers, customer support data, and the long term strategy of the company. For every feature you say yes to and for every bug you prioritize, you’ll need to delicately let down other people who truly care about the product. The priorities you set and the questions you ask will be the difference between another “maker machine” and transforming the way the global economy works with a fabrication device in every home. No pressure.
As a product manager at Glowforge, it will be a constant challenge to understand the customers we serve. This means talking to Glowforge owners and possible future owners, poring over trouble tickets, diving deep into projects our customers have created, and more. Equipped with this knowledge, you’ll work to balance customer impact, engineering and design cost to drive a clear roadmap for a revolutionary (and ever-improving) product. You’ll also:
- Working closely with designers, engineers, and other teams to write the specifications that define the amazing products our customers want and deserve.
- Communicating regularly with the executive team to mesh our product with our company’s long term strategy and vision.
- Diving deep with the engineering team to thoroughly understand the technology we’re harnessing well enough to guide tradeoffs and inspire new achievements.
- Doing anything and everything needed, from technical research to wireframes to factory visits to product experimentation so we can build a truly incredible product and ship it on schedule.
You need these qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in design, HCI, engineering, or equivalent experience.
- At least one prior role with product management responsibility in a fast-paced hardware or software team.
- You’ve helped to make products where your contributions are loved by users.
- You’ve written great product specs that your engineers and designers thank you for.
- You love to make things. It doesn’t matter what tools or materials are your passion - you’re excited about creating things.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You have both startup and big company experience as a product manager.
- You’ve worked as an engineer or UI/UX designer.
- You’ve worked on software that interacts with hardware.
- You love the art and science of marketing.
- You love design software like Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, Sketchup, Fusion360, and similar programs.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of, and what contribution you made that you’re most excited about.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.