Senior Product Designer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we're creating. It's not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we're crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It's already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it's available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you
Our customers surprise and inspire us every day with what they make on Glowforge - whether it’s an heirloom for a special occasion, a functional everyday tool, or a whole line of products for their businesses. We take their interests, skills and passion and multiply them. We love that our work matters in helping people realize their creativity and build things that amaze.
Our secret is our software, and that’s where you come in! You've transformed unbreachable complexity to enchanting simplicity with your design. You'll enable every Glowforge owner to unlock their creative superpowers. Your keen customer insight crafts a product our customers love. Our company depends on you crafting our ever-improving software product to drive our success.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll join the software product team where you will lead the UX design of the software and build delightful and engaging experiences that’ll unlock customers’ creativity in delightful ways. You will:
- Build user flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes and high-fidelity mockups that’ll turn broad concepts into concrete, implementable features.
- Collaborate in a rapidly iterative environment with product, engineering and growth teams, constantly launching minimum viable products to experiment, measure and learn.
- Balance tough trade-offs between user problems, technical complexity, and business priorities while keeping an eye on long term product vision.
- Gain a deep understanding of our current and prospective customers’ needs and wants through analytics, user interviews, forums and support requests.
- Guide the visual direction of our software with elegant and cohesive designs that bring our brand personality and product principles to life.
You’ll Need These Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of UX design experience working with engineering and product teams on a consumer-focused software product.
- A portfolio demonstrates strong product thinking and user understanding through thoughtful interactions, information architecture and user flows.
- Experience building up a design system, with principled user-facing components and patterns that are reusable by your teammates.
- Quicker than lightning with your favorite design tools (for example Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc).
- Strong communicator and can articulate design choices to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You’re passionate about finding the best outcome for customers - you love iterating with product and engineering to transform and evolve your ideas as they take form.
- A four year degree in HCI, design, or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if…
- You’ve worked in a startup environment before, and understand the ambiguity (and excitement) that encompasses.
- You have great visual design skills, too.
- You’ve had experience with front end web development, have a fundamental understanding of responsive web design, and/or coded up prototypes.
- You love making things with your hands – 3D printing, knitting, woodworking, furniture building; it doesn’t matter what.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.