Senior Mechanical Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
Why We Need You
As Glowforge enters a new chapter of growth, we are building new products that will deliver our magic to more people than ever before. We need you to make this possible, and help us bring these new products to the world!
Here’s what you’ll be doing
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you’ll be responsible for taking lead in the design, prototyping and testing of custom electromechanical systems. You’ll be responsible for developing and improving sustaining Mechanical Engineering processes and procedures. You’ll also be interacting with colleagues in the same team, across departments, and external contractors to guide and manage product development tasks. Also expect to be mentoring junior and mid-level engineers and technicians in proper design practices.
If you are a candidate who is passionate about improving designs and processes through quickly iterating and testing ideas, you will thrive in this role. Our customers buy our products because they fall in love with our hardware, and that means your work will truly delight our now and future customers.
Specifically, you will be:
- Designing custom mechanisms, enclosures, and electromechanical systems for quick prototyping, tooling and mass production
- Partnering with other fields at Glowforge to balance the many constraints necessary to build a fantastic product.
- Exploring and analyzing old and new designs to help improve quality, modernize existing products, and provide engineering expertise to sophisticated electromechanical systems
- Completing documentation packages for commercialization of our designs.
- Performing structural, thermal, and mechanical analysis to support product development
- Working with suppliers and contract manufacturers to support high volume production (some travel may be required to support this job function)
- Lead and participate in design reviews to give and receive constructive feedback and identify design improvements while growing our team's abilities and competencies through mentorship
You need these qualifications
- 5+ years of proven industry experience and a four-year degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- A high level of proficiency in a Mechanical CAD package, such as Solidworks, for building designs in 3D and completing 2D drawings
- The ability to accurately scope and work collaboratively on technical projects and to perform engineering calculations using a solid understanding of scientific concepts
- Practical experience with electromechanical system architecture
- Have solid modeling experience and can integrate mechanical constraints into your designs
It would be nice if you have...
- Excelled at a consumer hardware startup or similar rapid growth company
- Designed injection molded parts for mass production where quality, cost, and time-to-market are priorities
- Knowledge of various metal forming techniques, including stamping, machining forming, and extrusion
- Worked on designs that require DFx expertise (testing, manufacturing, quality)
- Experience designing custom test fixtures from scratch
- The drive and capability to quickly iterate your ideas using traditional and modern rapid prototyping techniques
Send us a resume or LinkedIn link. And please, send a cover letter that tells us what you’re excited about doing with us!
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We hope you can join us.