Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you
We have an unbelievably talented team hailing from the greatest tech companies and startups in the world, from Apple to Zillow. We owe it to them to provide a brilliant, strong, and caring Manufacturing Engineering leader who can help our manufacturing team grow and thrive.
Our contract manufacturing partner is capable of churning out immense volumes of fantastic products for us, but it only happens as a result of your leadership and effort working with the factory to keep things running smoothly and ensuring the communication and documentation is seamless. Our customers have trusted us with their dollars - you’re the one who delights our customers by seamlessly manufacturing the product they’ve been dreaming of.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’re going to be part of the manufacturing team that builds thousands of Glowforge units for consumers around the world. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in software, engineering, and supply chain to keep the factory lines humming smoothly.
You’ll work closely with our manufacturing and supplier partners at their facilities around the globe, developing cutting-edge manufacturing processes. All the while you’ll be dreaming up and implementing new and better ways of building our products faster, more reliable, and at a lower cost than ever before.
- You’ll perform manufacturing engineering assignments associated with the integrity of product design to assure quality and cost-effective production.
- You’ll advise engineering of existing production capabilities, equipment, facilities, and standard practices to contribute to the development of designs.
- You’ll coordinate with support groups to ensure capabilities and capacity are developed to support new products.
- You’ll ensure efficient manufacturing through achieving quality, cost, operating specifications, customer and company standards, and requirements.
- You’ll apply Lean manufacturing principles to improve production processes and achieve cost reduction.
- You’ll plan, define and implement new manufacturing systems as needed for new product introductions.
- You’ll be responsible for managing and implementing projects of varying complexity and scope.
- You’ll ensure the integrity of existing manufacturing documents and take ownership for the creation of new manufacturing documentation
You need these qualifications
- You have a BS degree or equivalent experience.
- You have 8+ years working on manufacturing teams that shipped products people love.
- You’re a master of manufacturing processes and materials.
- You love shipping high-quality products that are optimized for reliability and cost.
- You’re passionate about improving processes for our customers and our own success.
- You’re able to travel to our manufacturing sites up to 50% of the time.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience working with startups and big companies.
- You have experience with consumer electronics and/or laser product.
- You identify as a do-it-yourself-er, crafter, maker, artist, or designer.
- You have Lean or Six Sigma manufacturing experience and certification.
- You have high volume manufacturing experience.
- You have Mandarin or Spanish language proficiency.
- You’ve managed manufacturing engineering for multiple products, both new and sustaining.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.