Senior Manager, Software Development
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth.
We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. We’ve also moved much of the software from device to the cloud. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. We rely on multiple components, from web to embedded, to bring this functionality to our users, and our passion is on making the overall product as reliable as it can be.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around software quality, automation, and people management. Your team will be building a tool for our customers. Tools are used daily when they are reliable and trustworthy, and abandoned when they’re not. You will make Glowforge magnificent. Your expertise will elevate our customers’ experience from “web-connected gadget” to “life-changing innovation”.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- You’ll lead and grow the core product team—a diverse and talented collection of visionary developers who create incredible web services, mobile apps, and embedded software. You will guide them through business and technical decisions, and help them to grow into even more outstanding engineers.
- You'll ship industry-leading software—on time and exceeding quality expectations.
- You’ll balance business demands with product needs, and optimizing the performance of your team.
- You’ll execute your product strategy with agility and passion.
You need these qualifications
- You have a 4 year degree or equivalent experience and 10 years industry experience, including at least 5 years of experience as a respected software manager, growing, mentoring, and stretching your team to excellence.
- You understand exactly why your previous software projects shipped on time, or why they were late, and what could have been done better
- People who have worked for you say you’re one of the greatest managers they’ve ever worked for, and want to leave their jobs to work for you again.
- You’ve been a talented and effective software developer for much of your career, and now find great joy in helping other software developers become more talented and effective as well.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love.
It would be nice if...
- You’re a passionate creator yourself and are experienced with tools of any sort - crochet hooks, milling machines, lasers, or scissors.
- You’ve worked in and/or understand the challenges of a start-up.
- You care deeply about customer experience and ease of use.
- You can speak comfortably about modern web technologies, including Node.js, React, and Ruby/Rails.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can join us.