Senior Manager, Platform Engineering
Remote - Full-TimeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us!
We're a remote-first company - just let us know where you prefer to work from.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many engineering problems from hardware to software, supporting millions of prints each month. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like motion planning, alignment, and autofocus. That means that the reliability, scalability, and security of our services and infrastructure is of utmost importance to our customers.
You are a high-empathy, high-performance people manager who will build a fantastic team. And you are also a hands-on engineer who is committed to identifying and completing the most impactful projects that both improve our infrastructure and magnify the capabilities of the entire software organization. You are both the bedrock of stability that keeps us up and running and the high-octane fuel that multiplies the impact of every other engineer at Glowforge!
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Building a team of extraordinary platform engineers and SREs
- With the advice of other senior staff, making critical tradeoffs so that we invest in crucial infrastructure projects for scale & security at the right time
- Owning observability of our production systems
- Being responsible for our incident response capability, including the on-call rotation
- Making it easier to enhance our systems in alignment with our standards and architecture
- Advising engineering leadership on industry trends and opportunities
You need these qualifications
- A 4-year degree or equivalent experience and at least 10 years of industry experience, including at least 5 years of experience as a respected software manager, growing and mentoring your team to excellence.
- You understand exactly why your previous software projects shipped on time, or why they were late, and what could have been done better
- People who have worked for you say you’re one of the greatest managers they’ve ever worked for and want to leave their jobs to work for you again.
- You’ve been a dedicated and effective software developer for much of your career and now find great joy in helping other software developers become more versatile and effective as well.
- Most of your work in recent years has been focused on infrastructure and scale
- You have a startup attitude, and take pride in working scrappy and prioritizing effectively
It would be nice if...
- You’re a passionate creator yourself and are experienced with tools of any sort - crochet hooks, milling machines, lasers, or scissors.
- You’ve worked in and/or understand the challenges of a start-up.
- You care deeply about customer experience and ease of use.
- You are familiar with some of our stack, including Google Cloud Platform, pub/sub, serverless, Ruby on Rails as well as a polyglot aviary of other languages, Bitbucket Pipelines, Kubernetes, and New Relic
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about the product or feature you’re most proud of in your portfolio. What about it makes you grin from ear to ear?
There's one more very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We'd love to have you join us.