Senior Growth Designer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
Until now, maker tools have been excruciating to use. The software, the buying process, and the communication is shrouded in geek-code and insiderspeak.
Glowforge is different. We created a 3D laser printer that is simple enough that anyone can use it. And designers like you are the most inspiring customers of all. You can get a tiny taste of the talent and inspiration we’re talking about by looking at our customers’ work on https://instagram.com/explore/tags/glowforge/.
Our customers buy their Glowforge to create magic, but you are the one who makes that process magical. We need you to author the visual language that represents who we are, what we stand for, and the magic that we want to create in the world. It’s your design work that epitomizes the Glowforge experience, and we need you to be the best version of ourselves.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll be the Glowforge design lead for the Growth team - helping to ensure that new and current Glowforge owners learn about and share the possibilities that Glowforge provides. This includes:
- Re-imagining the glowforge.com experience, partnering closely with product, engineering, and data science teammates to balance inspiration and effectiveness.
- Leading the visual design of innovative new software features, and re-imagine our existing experience to make it simpler and more compelling.
- Diving deep into new subjects with your co-workers, learning the complexity underlying our product so you can give a simple experience to our customers. That means collaborating to learn about topics as diverse as machine vision, to materials science, to motion systems.
- Jumping in to help on visual projects elsewhere in the company. We’re growing incredibly fast, so we all get to help in a wide range of areas!
You have these core qualifications:
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience and at least 5 years design experience including at least one fast-paced design environment (startup or agency).
- You have a breathtaking portfolio.
- You've done design for a product, either hardware or software, that people love.
- You have experience measuring your design against key metrics to combine beauty with performance against business goals.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You love the art and science of marketing.
- You have skills in user experience, industrial, motion, and/or interactive design.
- You have experience working on hardware projects.
- You have a personal love of what we’re building.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about any creative outlets in your life beyond work. Do you draw? Enjoy woodworking? Leatherworking? Papercraft? Glitter? We want to know. We’d also like to see your current portfolio. Please also include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.