Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us!
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this wonderful city.
Why We Need You
As Glowforge enters a new chapter of growth, we are building new products that will deliver our magic to more people than ever before. Whether we’re creating the first development prototypes of an exciting new product or scaling up existing test systems to support expanding production quantities, the quality of our products depends on our ability to build prototypes with our own bare hands.
You’re the maestro in this effort; and we need your expertise to help create the innovation that builds our company and delights our customers.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
As a Prototype Technician, you’ll be part of the team involved in the design, prototyping and testing of new and existing mechatronic systems to help us deliver a high quality consumer product.
This role will require the individual to be a skilled machinist who thrives in a machine shop environment. It will also require working closely with Engineers across various disciplines to produce quickturn prototypes under minimal direction. Additionally you will be responsible for:
- Machining tight tolerance components and assemblies using typical machine shop equipment including but not limited to: mills, grinders, drill presses, saws and 3D printers
- Using CAD software such as Solidworks or AutoCAD to review designs and extract components to generate detailed machining drawings
- Reworking existing prototype designs by repairing defects and redesigning to improve quality and efficiency
- Running validation testing on new and existing designs, collecting test data, and reporting using clear documentation
- Supporting the Engineering design team by reviewing prototype designs for testability and manufacturability
- Owning and maintaining general machine shop responsibilities such as: ensuring a safe work environment, equipment maintenance and repair schedules, purchasing spares and raw materials, general cleanliness and organization of the workplace.
You need these qualifications
- Have at least 5 years experience with CNC fabrication tools like mills, 3D printers, and/or laser cutters
- Have at least an associate's degree in a technical field or equivalent training and experience
- Have built and handled prototype hardware for development and validation purposes
- Are capable of performing build-to-print assembly for complex products using your understanding of 3D and 2D drawings and schematics
- Are proficient with most engineering shop hand tools for both mechanical and electrical manufacturing
- Have experience working with a wide variety of materials from metal to plastics
It would be nice if you…
- Have helped deploy functional test equipment to a high volume production environment
- Have experience in consumer electronics, robotics or other mechatronics applications
- Possess practical experience troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems
- Know basic electronics and can populate PCBAs with thru-hole and SMT components
- Are passionate about making things: woodworking, 3D printing, welding, or anything related
Send us a resume or Linkedin link. And please, send us a cover letter that tells us what you’re excited about doing with us!
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of a diverse group of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We hope you can join us!