Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this alluring city.
Why we need you
Our customers surprise and inspire us every day with what they create on Glowforge - whether it’s memorabilia for a special occasion, a functional everyday tool, or a whole line of products for their budding businesses. We take people’s skills and passion and multiple them. We love that our work matters in helping people realize their creativity and build things that amaze.
At the heart of this is a massive, powerful software stack that enables a fast and simple user experience and the incredible abilities of the Glowforge hardware. We need your product vision, keen customer and market insights, deep technical understanding and relentless execution to imagine and innovate on what is possible.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
The Core Product team touches every aspect of the customer journey from unboxing to designing to printing. You’ll design intuitive user experiences, build new features with image processing and machine learning, and work across the whole technology stack to enable hardware capabilities. Your work will make or break our customers everyday experiences. No pressure.
- You’ll work closely with a top-notch team of engineers and designers to define user experiences, develop functional specifications, and guide the execution to bring ideas into reality.
- You’ll make hard trade-offs to prioritize new feature work, experimentations and incremental improvements based on customer impact, business strategy, and engineering cost.
- You’ll communicate product strategies with executives regularly to mesh your features with our company’s long-term vision.
- You’ll partner with software, hardware, manufacturing, marketing, and customer success teams, jumping from technical research to factory visits so we can build a truly incredible product together.
- You’ll dive into analytics, user studies, community forums and support requests to deeply understand current and prospective customers to shape the product.
You’ll Need These Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of product management responsibility in a fast-paced software or hardware team.
- You’ve successfully led the development of features loved by customers through planning, design, execution, and launch.
- You’ve written exceptional product specs that your engineers and designers thank you for.
- You have strong user experience sensibilities and appreciation for minimal interface design.
- You’re result-oriented and have a deep desire to create a magnificent, iconic product - while still knowing when and how you can make trade-offs to execute quickly.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, related disciplines or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if…
- You’ve worked in a startup environment before, and understand the ambiguity (and thrill) that arise and can still move confidently even when guidance is limited.
- You’ve worked on software that interacts with hardware.
- You’ve had experience working with engineers across different technology stacks
- You love making things with your hands – 3D printing, knitting, woodworking, furniture building; it doesn’t matter what.
- In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of, and what contribution you made that you’re most excited about.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.