Principal Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Remote - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
We're a remote-first company - just let us know where you prefer to work from!
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge is that we moved many engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Everything our customers do depends on our software being there for them. Without our services, we don't have a business. That's why our whole company will depend on you. We want your passion and thoughtfulness around systems engineering and operational excellence. We’ll ask you to tackle problems that enable our product to operate efficiently as it rapidly expands to meet growing demand, from multi-service deployments to incident response. We are looking for you to spread your SRE knowledge through an organization with a strong DevOps culture that is eager to learn.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us manage and scale our growing infrastructure to ensure an outstanding experience for our customers — which will include stretching your technical skills and supporting your colleagues when they need help.
- Lead, mentor, and help grow a team of SREs that work alongside our application developers to meet a common set of goals for our service. You’ll iterate on service objectives with the team, translate them to architecture and implementation plans, and then get to work shipping code and configuration that bring it to life!
- Ensure our services are properly instrumented, resilient against outages, responsive to appropriate mediations, and monitored at various scopes to track uptime and stability.
- Partner with the product and data teams to ensure our systems are appropriately provisioned to meet the growing needs of a rapidly expanding company.
You need these qualifications
- You have at least ten years of combined professional experience in software development and systems engineering and a relevant 4-year degree or equivalent experience.
- You’ve successfully managed the services of a web product that people love.
- You’re comfortable in various programming languages, including one or more of Ruby, Python, NodeJS, and Rust.
- You take joy in pragmatically handling the details of CI/CD deployment pipelines, monitoring distributed systems, third-party SaaS integrations, configuring complex ingress rules, and tracking feature flags, and can utilize all of these tools to maintain rapidly growing services at a global scale.
It would be nice if…
- You are familiar with Google Cloud Platform.
- You are deeply comfortable with Kubernetes, Helm, and Terraform
- You have experience with the NewRelic, Atlassian, and PagerDuty APIs
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. We can’t wait to meet you.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We hope you can join us.