Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
Underneath its sophisticated exterior, the Glowforge contains an incredible range of technologies, from optics to robotics and fluid dynamics to injection molding. What makes the Glowforge experience magical, however, is how the mechanical details disappear into the background as the amazing things that our customers create on the Glowforge take center stage. You are a critical piece of keeping this magic alive. Without you applying your deep technical skills to make truly compelling products, our company simply will not succeed.
You’ll be doing this
- Designing custom mechanisms, enclosures, and electromechanical systems for prototyping, tooling and mass production
- Partnering with other disciplines at Glowforge, including FW, SW, MFG, and CS to balance the many constraints necessary to build a fantastic product.
- Developing testing methodologies and fixtures for engineering validation.
- Completing documentation packages for commercialization of our designs.
- Doing structural, thermal, and plastic mold filling analysis.
- Traveling to and working with manufacturers to support production at volume.
- Contributing to a vibrant Glowforge culture focused on delivering immense value to our customers through great experiences.
You need these core qualifications
- 2+ years of industry experience and a four-year degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent experience).
- Experience bringing component-level designs from feasibility through to production
- The ability to accurately scope and estimate complex technical projects
- You have a high level of proficiency in a Mechanical CAD package, such as Solidworks, for building designs in 3D and completing 2D drawings
- The ability to perform engineering calculations using a solid understanding of scientific concepts
It would be nice if
- You have excelled at a consumer HW startup or rapidly growing company
- You have designed parts for injection molding for consumer goods.
- You have experience in various metal forming techniques, including stamping, machining forming, and extrusion.
- You have experience designing electromechanical systems
- You have experience designing custom test fixtures.
- You have material science or chemistry background as well
- Experience working directly with overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers.
We'd love to hear from you so please send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or personal projects website are phenomenal as well. Please share with us a note about your interest in us. We look forward to hearing from you!
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We hope you can join us.