Mechanical Engineer (Seattle, full-time)
So here’s the thing: we’re reinventing homemade by giving people a magical box that can print a limitless variety of beautiful and useful products. With lasers!
Our founders are three geeks of different subspecies (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and maker space, with 3D printers, scrapbook cutters, optical benches, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. If you like to make things, you’re going to have a lot of fun here.
We managed to land a set of investors who not just help us but inspire us: entrepreneurs like Bre Pettis, Greg McAdoo, Hiten Shah, Chris DiBona, Renee DiResta, and Ben Elowitz. We’re fully funded now and working hard to make Glowforges available in December, but we’ve got a lot to do to make that happen! That’s where you come in.
You’ll be working on the guts and skin of an entirely new machine – a consumer device that will help mere mortals accomplish the acts of creation that you, as a mechanical engineer, have already learned.
- Designing custom mechanisms, linear systems, enclosures, and electromechanical components for our product.
- Modeling parts in Solidworks for R&D, tooling, and production.
- Doing thermal analysis.
- Responsible for safety design.
- Doing hands-on prototyping.
- Traveling to and working with manufacturers to support production at volume.
You have these core qualifications:
- You’ve delivered proven, high volume production designs.
- 5 or more years of industry experience.
- Injection molding experience.
- Experience working with toolers, molders, and manufacturers.
- Available to travel to help see your designs come to fruition.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You have experience in stamped metal parts, forming, and aluminum extrusions.
- You’ve designed co-molded parts with ABS, acrylic and thermoplastics.
- You have experience designing linear motion systems.
- You have CAM experience.
- You can conceive, model, and prototype a new design in a single day.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile is fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.