Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
We have an unbelievably talented team hailing from the greatest tech companies and startups in the world, from Apple to Tesla. We owe it to them to provide a brilliant, strong, and caring leader who can help our mechanical engineering team thrive and grow.
Our hardware products span an incredible range of technologies, from optics to robotics to filters to injection molding. Our customers are mostly home users who want a device of unparalleled power and simplicity. That means they expect and deserve a product that weaves all of these divergent technologies together seamlessly. You’re the ME leader who can make that happen, so the whole of our products is so much greater than the sum of the parts.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You’re going to lead and grow an incredibly talented Mechanical Engineering team to deliver Glowforge hardware. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in manufacturing, electrical engineering, and supply chain to deliver ever greater capabilities to our customers. That means:
- Developing and growing an excellent mechanical design team with a passion for shipping terrific product to customers.
- Finding and hiring incredible people who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Helping our engineers improve performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by management, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Working with the broader team to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward.
You need these qualifications
- You have a BSME or higher degree.
- You’ve led and built Mechanical Engineering teams that shipped products people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with a Mechanical Engineering team.
- You love shipping products.
- You’re passionate improving designs and processes for our customers and our success.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience at startups and big companies.
- You have experience with consumer electronics and/or laser products.
- You identify as a do-it-yourself-er, crafter, maker, artist, or designer.
- You have high volume manufacturing experience.
- You’ve delivered multiple generation 1 products.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.