Marketing Communications Manager
Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
From blog posts to press releases, flyers to emails, website copy to… well… job descriptions, the written word is our favorite way of connecting to the people who matter most to us - our customers. Our company exists but for the love, attention, and excitement that they share with us.
You’re that conduit - that connector - from the great ideas that sprout across our company to the excitement and understanding of the people who can make our company thrive and grow.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Our CEO, Dan Shapiro, has been the voice of the company to date. He’s a published author and manages OK. But he’s pretty busy.
Your job is to extract the core of that voice, refine and improve it, and write with it across the company. To make every communication feel like it came from the same voice.
Beyond that, you’re a student of human nature. You are thoughtful about what people love to read and what makes them wrinkle their noses. You read great marketing copy and beam the the masterful handiwork of the person behind it; you read bad copy and are tempted to rewrite it yourself on general principle.
You noticed the typo in the previous sentence. You always notice the typos. They drive you nuts.
More practically, you’ll be:
- Writing across an enormous variety of media, from long form blog posts to postcards
- Extracting the core of the Glowforge writing voice, documenting it, and teaching others (for example, technical writers and product managers) how to use it effectively
- Proofreading, editing, and otherwise improving mountains of copy
- Taking personal responsibility for embodying the company’s attitude, spirit, and values in the text you write for the world
You need these qualifications
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience.
- You’ve written an immense amount of copy, some of which you’re proud of and can share.
- You’re excited about exploring the strengths and limitations of writing opportunities ranging from pages-long blog posts to great one liners.
- You are thoughtful about writing persuasively; everything from sincere and heartfelt communications to headlines that make you want to click.
- You are deeply, personally excited about what we’re creating at Glowforge.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience in technology and/or startups.
- You are a social media maestro, and have demonstrated the ability to build big followings on multiple platforms.
- You have written in a broad variety of voices and styles.
- You are technically adept and comfortable learning and then writing about new technology in detail.
Send us your writing portfolio, plus a resume or Linkedin link. And please, send us a cover letter that shows us what you can do!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.