Director of Manufacturing
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
We have an unbelievably talented team hailing from the greatest tech companies and startups in the world, from Apple to Tesla. We owe it to them to provide a brilliant, strong, and caring leader who can help our manufacturing team thrive and grow.
We’re manufacturing with Flex in their Milpitas, CA facility. They are capable of churning out immense volumes of fantastic products for us, but it only happens with your wisdom and guidance. Our customers have trusted us with their dollars - you’re the one who fulfills those dreams by manufacturing the product they’ve been dreaming of.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You’re going to build and lead a tremendous manufacturing team to build first tens, then hundreds of thousands of Glowforge units for consumers around the world. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in software, engineering, and supply chain to keep the factory lines humming smoothly. All the while you’ll be dreaming up and implementing new and better ways of building our products faster, more reliably, and at lower cost than ever before. That means you will be:
- Developing and growing an excellent manufacturing engineering team with a passion for shipping terrific products to our customers.
- Finding and hiring incredible people who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Helping our engineers improve performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by management, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Working with the broader team to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward.
You need these qualifications
- You have a BS degree or equivalent experience.
- 15+ years of industry experience and 5+ years of managing teams
- You’ve built and managed manufacturing teams that shipped products people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with a manufacturing team.
- You love shipping high quality products that are optimized for reliability and cost excellence..
- You’re passionate about improving processes for our customers and our own success.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience at startups and big companies.
- You have experience with consumer electronics and/or laser products.
- You identify as a do-it-yourself-er, crafter, maker, artist, or designer.
- You’ve delivered multiple generation 1 products.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.