Manager, Hardware Engineering
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we're creating. It's not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we're crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It's already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it's available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
You would not believe the incredible hardware innovations packed inside the Glowforge… it is a magnificent blend of technologies working together in harmony. Behind this magical product is a deeply accomplished hardware engineering team hailing from a wonderfully diverse set of industries. We owe it to them to provide a forward-thinking, strong, and caring leader who can help them grow and excel in a start-up environment. Without you playing this critical role, our amazing products might not ever make it to market.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’re going to lead and grow our electrical and mechanical design team to deliver compelling Glowforge hardware. You will partner closely with your colleagues in manufacturing, supply chain, and software to deliver ever greater capabilities to our customers. That means:
- Helping our engineers increase product performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by coaching, mentorship, and by contributing yourself.
- Getting into the details, brainstorming potential solutions, facilitating difficult decisions and unblocking the team
- Improving our engineering toolkit and development process to world-class levels
- Providing the structure and clarity needed to allow the engineers to focus on mission-critical technical problems
- Partnering with the Product, Manufacturing and Customer Success teams to develop the requirements and specifications that will drive our products forward.
You need these qualifications
- You have 10+ years of experience, and a four-year degree in ME or EE, or equivalent experience.
- You have 3+ years of experience managing engineers.
- You have shipped a consumer product that was beloved by its customers, and a big win for the business
- You have led HW development efforts all the way from feasibility through to mass production.
- You have contributed to building highly functional engineering development processes.
- You have had amazing successes, spectacular failures, and invaluable findings from all of them.
It would be nice if…
- You have excelled at both startups and big companies.
- You have built mechatronics and/or laser products.
- You have deep practical experience in both EE and ME domains.
- You have built engineering development frameworks from scratch
- You are familiar with software development methodologies and have delivered products that integrate a software experience
We'd love to hear from you so please send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.We hope you can join us.