Manager, Content Marketing
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this alluring city.
Why We Need You
The Glowforge community is a large, passionate, and diverse group of customers who see their Glowforge as a way to unlock their creativity. Our Growth team is focused on bringing more and more passionate people into this community every day.
We drive the customer journey - from the moment they hear about Glowforge through a friend or an advertisement, through their learning process, and right up until the Glowforge lands on their door. Often, our customers don’t even realize how much Glowforge could change their lives. It’s our job to show them the breadth of what is possible - from a creative birthday present to a home-reorganization to building their very own business and fulfilling life-long dreams.
You’ll lead the team that makes this all possible. You’ll manage the designers, writers, videographers, photographers, and content experts that create the videos, pictures, and words that inspire our future customers to join our community. Your creative direction, inspirational guidance, and thoughtful management accelerates the work of the content marketing team - in ways they never thought possible.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Understanding how to communicate what this incredible, beloved product can do is no small feat. How do you turn actual magic into pictures? Words? Videos?
There are complexities about explaining the magic of the Glowforge - from laser-power technology to the breadth of what you can make, to how it will improve every day lives, and how many different types of customers we have. Then, there’s the added complexity of leading individual team members to take on this exciting - but challenging - task. How do you lead and work with your team to create can’t-put-it-down, must-learn-more content that makes Glowforge a household name?
As the head of content marketing at Glowforge, it will be a constant challenge to design and execute on new experiments - new channels, new tactics, new creative - ensure we’re reaching our business and customer goals. You’ll curate out-of-this-world content for ads, build out email campaigns that continue our tradition of astronomical open-rates and CTRs, and work with our product team to create high-engagement site content. Then you’ll nurture and grow your team to scale it tenfold.
More specifically, you’ll:
- Lead content marketing strategy, including research, ideation, development, implementation, and iteration.
- Be responsible for the content marketing team at Glowforge: managing current employees, hiring new employees, and identifying and partnering with outside contractors, freelancers and agencies.
- Work directly with Glowforge leadership to iterate on and elevate the Glowforge brand.
- Ensure the team is delivering a constant barrage of impressive visuals and words (be they animations, videos, posts, articles, ad copy, or something else - depending on the need, timeline, and resources) to explain the magic of Glowforge to an ever-expanding audience.
- Run regular reviews of content against key metrics and post mortems of every campaign to ensure the team is continually learning.
- Deliver metrics that show impressive improvement every month, quarter, and year.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of proven experience as a content marketing manager and 4+ years of direct management experience..
- You’re the subject matter expert on scaling content across channels - Ads, email campaigns, on-site content marketing, social campaigns, and more.
- You have a proven understanding of performance metrics by channel and format, and how concept and distribution tactics impact those metrics.
- You’re analysis-obsessed and have coached others on it throughout your career. Tools like ESP Analytics, Facebook Analytics, Google Analytics, and/or Tableau (or similar) are daily tools for you and your team.
- You’ve managed agencies and vendors to fantastic results
- You've hired amazing people, coached them to do even more impressive work, and they would claim you were a critical step in both their work and career.
It would be nice if...
- You have both startup and big company experience
- You have experience with software, hardware, and/or B2C products.
- Your creative campaigns have been both unusual, and unusually successful
- You consider yourself a crafter, maker, designer, or artists, and love to create things yourself
In your cover letter, in-addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about an exceptional piece of content you created or led a team to create (and why it was exceptional!).
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.