Lead DevOps Engineer, Manufacturing
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. We've used those same technologies to innovate our manufacturing processes as well. We rely on multiple web services to test, validate, and calibrate each machine that comes off our manufacturing line, and our focus is on optimizing this technology to increase system drive, reduce build time, and ultimately drive down the costs for our customers.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around operations, deployments, and automation. At its heart, our manufacturing process is driven by our software. The quality of our manufactured machines depends on the robustness and resiliency of our manufacturing software. By building out our manufacturing software infrastructure, you will create magnificent Glowforges.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us create amazing manufacturing software for our technicians — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Traveling regularly to our manufacturing facilities to ensure our deployments there are up-to-date and fully operational.
- Ensuring our deployments, testing, and continuous integration infrastructure let us build great software faster, without our technicians ever noticing the seams.
- Showing the rest of the software team how our services can be adequately deployed across multiple environments, including development, staging, and production.
- Moving fluidly between cloud- and self-hosted software infrastructure, utilizing the best technology to ensure our manufacturing line can run interrupted.
- Managing permissions for and distribution of critical secrets (e.g., SSH keys, SSL certificates, and API access tokens) to protect organizational information.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You need these qualifications
- You have a four year degree or equivalent experience, plus several years of industry experience.
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for automating the continuous testing and deployment for a shipping product.
- You’re comfortable with what it means to work at a startup: navigating ambiguity, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving confidently with limited guidance.
- You’re passionate about topics like virtual machines, software containers, microservices, system monitoring, and automating all the things.
- You know what it takes to ship great software on time and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You’re proficient with Google Cloud and have made use of a wide variety of their services and APIs.
- You’ve utilized some standard automation framework like Chef or Puppet to manage deployments.
- You’re competent with Docker and related technologies, like Kubernetes, Docker Machine, and Docker Compose.
- You have previous startup experience.
Please send us your resume, plus something so we can get a sense of your work. For example, we’d love to see your Github profile.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.