Head of Manufacturing
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you
We just raised more money than any product in crowdfunding history. Why is that? Not because of our poignant tweets or our dashing good looks… it’s because the core idea of Glowforge is a product that people want to exist in the world. That’s right; we’re nothing without our product.
And your job is delivering that product.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll be walking into a team that’s brilliant, thoughtful, passionate, diverse, and small. Our opportunities dwarf our team size. Fortunately, our product has been so successful in the market that we have the dollars to grow. Your job number one will be growing the team in all disciplines, giving us the capability to simultaneously improve and refine our current product, while starting work on what’s next.
And there’s so much to be done. Your team touches everything that has to do with manufacturing … and that’s just the start.
Day to day, your role will include:
- Leading all of our manufacturing efforts to deliver amazing products.
- Being the kind of manager and mentor that your team remembers for the rest of their career.
- Partnering with our manufacturers as needed, at a senior level or on the line, whenever it can make a difference, to ensure we deliver on our promises to our customers.
- Working closely with the executive team to set company strategy and direction.
- Introducing new ideas, new processes, and new tools to improve our execution capabilities.
You need these qualifications
- You’ve been the executive responsible for manufacturing a hardware product that people love.
- You have a technical hardware background.
- You’ve grown and managed teams who are eager to work with you again.
- You are comfortable working in the ever-changing priorities of a young company.
- You work well in a cross-disciplinary environment with peers responsible for things like software, design, operations, etc.
- You’re passionate about building great hardware, at a price consumers can afford.
It would be nice if...
- The products you’ve manufactured in the past were consumer hardware products.
- You’ve worked at a startup before.
- You have experience in more than one of the areas we rely on, such as optics, lasers, and complex linear systems.
- You are familiar with CNC fabrication tools like 3D printers, laser cutter/engravers, etc.
- You love making things with your hands -- whether it be building hardware in your spare time or pastimes like woodworking, papercraft, leatherworking, sewing, or drawing.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.