Head of Communications
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're exceptionally proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth.
We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
Why We Need You
Today, Glowforge is a fast-growing company that makes a beloved, groundbreaking product. In the future - we have much bigger ambitions!
We’re here to create a world where anyone can print anything. Think “Star Trek Replicators” instead of cardboard box deliveries. But, 'the Future' can come soon - and we think you’re the person to tell the story to get us there.
In your role, you’ll help the world learn what it means to be able to create anything at the touch of a button.
How? You’ll lead Glowforge’s executive comms, media relations, public affairs, major content campaigns, crisis and rapid response (there’s nothing brewing, but you never know!), and more.
Inventing an industry while we grow it would be scary for most people, but not you. You’ve been here before. It’s why you will turn Glowforge into a household name.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll define and deliver on our global communications strategy - ensuring that how we want our story to be told to customers, employees, investors, the public – around the world – happens seamlessly at an incredible pace.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
To do this, you’ll:
- Hire and lead the communications team (including outside firms where you think they add value). You’ll build a diverse and hardworking collection of storytellers, writers, and impact-minded individuals.
- Lead major projects across multiple teams, from marketing and creative to sales and finance. You’ll carry the banner for our critical public awareness initiatives.
- Set a high standard for evidence-based decision making. You expect your team to show you the data, know the facts, and achieve goals that are more than just made-up round numbers.
Other companies have reached out for PR-only roles – and you certainly have the chops. But our view of Communications (and this role) is much bigger. You’ll be deeply involved across every area of the company, and will shape the fundamental decisions that guide our creation of a new category every day.
You need these qualifications
- 10+ years of strategic communications experience
- 5+ years building fast-paced teams, developing your own people into leaders who are now doing outstanding work in other companies.
- You’ve taken multiple brands from unknown to a household name and have contributed meaningfully to building not just brand recognition, but revenue growth of the company –– OR –– you’ve performed on the biggest stages – whether that’s running a news bureau or heading up a political comms shop – and gotten applause.
It would be nice if you have experience...
- In leadership roles at both startups and large organizations launching software, hardware, and B2C products.
- Running communications at a public company - everything from reviewing disclosures to preparing for earnings calls.
- Working cooperatively with public affairs and policy folk.
- With crafting, making, designing, building, or 3D printing.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We hope you can join us.