Full Stack Software Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this alluring city.
Why we need you
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we expect you to be one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around our end-to-end web stack. While you’ll do lots of things here, you’ll be asked to tackle problems at every layer of a full-featured web stack, and will spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn. And there’s a lot for you to work on: you’ll be helping with everything from user-facing software to the web services that drive our hardware.
While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of industry experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or you’ve been a veteran architect for decades.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us create an amazing product for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Driving the decisions about what technologies to add to the stack. We already use Rails, Node, and Python but have a lot more work to do.
- Working closely with the hardware team to understand the capabilities of our product and help unlock its potential.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and can help build the user stories, requirements and specifications that will drive development.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a web product that people love.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and you’re comfortable navigating ambiguity that arises in a startup environment, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving confidently even when guidance is limited.
- You’re thoughtful about systems engineering, design patterns, and algorithms.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You’re experienced with back-end server technologies and designing for the *ilities (testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
- You’re familiar with hardware challenges like drivers, motion controller algorithms, and/or low-level code (you’ll be working closely with the hardware team and may have the opportunity to build low-level interfaces).
- You have graphics experience.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city. Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.