Front End Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. We’ve also moved much of the software from device to the cloud. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Without you, this is an intimidating robot armed with laser beams. With your help, it’s a simple and intuitive tool that lets kids, entrepreneurs, teachers, artists, and nearly anyone else create real, beautiful projects straight from their imagination. You’re at the very heart of what drives our company.
Here’s What You’ll Be Doing
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around front-end web development. While you’ll do lots of things here, you’ll be asked to take on some of our most challenging UX innovations for the web, and will spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn.
- First and foremost, working on any task that helps us craft an amazing product for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Collaborating daily with designers, including our head of product, in-house UI designers, and our customers (many of whom are designers themselves).
- Creating novel and intuitive user experiences that enable Glowforge’s amazing capabilities with minimal training.
- Iterating tirelessly on those designs based on user feedback without fear of questioning your assumptions.
- Massaging the latest web technologies into a buttery-smooth implementation of our product vision.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and helping build the user stories, requirements, and specifications that will drive development.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You Need These Qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and you’re willing to navigate the ambiguity that arises in a startup environment, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving with confidence even when guidance is limited.
- You’re thoughtful about human-computer interfaces, responsive design, and applying software engineering principles to front-end implementations.
- You’re passionate about writing phenomenal software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some trade-offs to ship quickly.
It Would Be Nice If...
- You’re experienced with mobile technologies, responsive design, browser compatibilities, and how best to mix web and native implementations.
- You have graphics and animation experience with 2D technologies like SVG or Canvas, or with 3D libraries like three.js or WebGL.
- You can wield React/Flux effortlessly, and espouse the virtues of stateless functional components.
- You’re comfortable with Rails, Python, and Node (we have multiple technologies powering our web services).
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.