Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is one of the most funded preorder campaigns of all time. We’re not creating a geeky tool for the tech elite; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity.
Our founders are three creators from different backgrounds (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and makerspace, with 3D printers, sewing machines, optical benches, scrapbook cutters, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. This is a company for people who are passionate about creating things, from clothes to furniture to machines to food. If that’s you, we’re going to do amazing things together.
Why we need you
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we expect you to be one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around front-end web development. While you’ll do lots of things here, you’ll be asked to tackle some of our most challenging UX innovations for the web, and will spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn. We are pushing the envelope on web-based interaction models for fabrication devices, and we need your help to make this the best possible user experience for our customers.
While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of industry experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or you’ve been a veteran architect for decades.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us create an amazing product for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Collaborating daily with designers, including our head of product, in-house UI designers, and our customers (many of whom are designers themselves).
- Creating novel and intuitive user experiences that enable Glowforge’s amazing capabilities with minimal training.
- Iterating tirelessly on those designs based on user feedback and not being afraid to kill your darlings.
- Massaging the latest web technologies into a buttery-smooth implementation of our product vision.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and helping build the user stories, requirements, and specifications that will drive development.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and you’re comfortable navigating ambiguity that arises in a startup environment, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving confidently even when guidance is limited.
- You’re thoughtful about human-computer interfaces, responsive design, and applying software engineering principles to front-end implementations.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You’re experienced with mobile technologies, responsive design, browser compatibilities, and how best to mix web and native implementations.
- You have 2D graphics and animation experience, either with SVG or Canvas.
- You have 3D graphics and animation experience, like three.js or webGL.
- You can wield jQuery effortlessly, and know when it’s best not to use it.
- You’ve worked with libraries like React/Flux, Backbone, or Angular for structuring UI implementations
- You’re comfortable with Rails, Python, and Node (we have multiple technologies powering our web services).
Please send us your resume, plus something so we can get a sense of your work. For example, we’d love to see your Github repository and links to sites you’ve built.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.