Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
Our unusual architecture means that much of the code that would normally be on the firmware is instead in the cloud. Things like motion planning and machine vision all happen in servers in a far-away datacenter. But that’s all far away - your code is the feet on the ground. You coordinate real-time motion, achieve subtle and accurate sensor readings, and produce a delightful experience for our customers. Your code is the very core of the Glowforge experience.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You’ll be working with a small and dedicated team of firmware professionals to deliver new functionality, improved reliability, and entire new accessories and features to Glowforge customers. That means:
- Optimizing a real-time Linux embedded environment
- Coding real-time kernel-space extensions in C
- Building user-space, internet-enabled applications in C/C++
- Developing responsive machine vision components
- Creating interfaces and communications with new Glowforge peripherals
You need these qualifications
- Strong coding skills in C/C++.
- 3 or more years of industry experience.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping a product that people love.
- You’re passionate about writing great software…and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience with scripting languages like Python and Ruby
- You have experience writing drivers.
- You have experience with digital image processing or computer vision
- You have firmware/embedded experience.
- You have circuit design/electrical engineering experience.
- You’ve worked with real-time embedded Linux.
- You have server-side experience with technologies like NodeJS, Docker, and cloud providers.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.