Manager, Firmware Development
Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
We have an unbelievably talented team hailing from the greatest tech companies and startups in the world, from Apple to Microsoft. We owe it to them to provide a leader who can help them thrive and grow.
Our unusual architecture means that much of the code that would normally be on the firmware is instead in the cloud. Things like motion planning and machine vision all happen in servers in a far-away datacenter. But your team’s software is the feet on the ground: ensuring real-time motion, sensing, and an absolutely delightful experience for our customers. You’ll be the core of this incredibly talented team as you bring a sublime experience to each and every Glowforge customer.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
You’re going to lead an incredibly talented team of firmware engineers in constantly improving and innovating on the Glowforge platform. You’ll work closely with your colleagues in cloud software, hardware, and manufacturing to provide ever greater capabilities to our current customers, while supporting the needs of both the existing factory and future product design.
- Developing excellent engineering processes with our passionate team of developers.
- Finding and interviewing incredible people who you’ll be excited to work with.
- Still make time to write high quality code, as well as participate in code reviews and detailed design sessions.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and can help build the requirements and specifications that will drive development.
You need these qualifications
- You’ve led an engineering team that shipped a product people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with engineers.
- You love firmware engineering and you’re thoughtful about systems engineering, design patterns, and algorithms.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience writing drivers.
- You are a great firmware/embedded engineer.
- You have circuit design / electrical engineering experience.
- You’ve worked with real-time embedded Linux.
- You have server-side experience with technologies like Ruby/Rails, Docker, and cloud providers.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.