Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we're creating. It's not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we're crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It's already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it's available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you
The Glowforge runs on electrons and we need your engineering expertise wrangling them to do the right thing. Our electrical systems are fascinatingly complex. There are a lot of meaningful and thoughtful decisions that go into making it anticipate our customers’ every need while keeping the price accessible to our all the amazing makers out there. You'll be part of the core team that designs the brains and the brawn of Glowforge and making sure that it's manufactured to our top of the line specifications. Without you and your masterful engineering work to carry us forth, a future where the Glowforge is a household product may not come to fruition.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Design analog, high-speed digital, and mixed-signal circuits.
- Schematic capture and PCBA layout for mass production.
- Prototype ideas and quickly iterate on designs; testing and debugging in a state-of-the-art electronics lab.
- Partnering with other disciplines at Glowforge, including FW, SW, MFG, and CS to balance the many constraints necessary to build a phenomenal product.
- Completing documentation packages for commercialization of our designs.
- Developing testing methodologies and fixtures for engineering validation.
- Shepherd designs through certification and compliance testing
- Traveling to and working with manufacturers to support production at volume.
You need these core qualifications
- 2+ years of industry experience and a four year degree in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- Practical experience with electromechanical system architecture
- Experience bringing board-level designs from concept through production
- The ability to accurately scope and estimate complex technical projects
- You have a high level of proficiency in an ECAD package, such as Altium Designer, for schematic capture and multi-layer PCB design
- The ability to perform engineering calculations using a solid understanding of scientific concepts
It would be nice if
- You have excelled at a consumer HW startup or rapidly growing company
- You have designed for other laser applications
- You have worked directly with overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- You have brought designs through EMI/EMC testing on a tight timeline
- You have RF experience
- You have knowledge of high voltage power supply design and operation
- You have solid modeling experience and can integrate mechanical constraints into your designs
We'd love to hear from you so please send us your resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or personal projects website are great as well. Please share with us a note about your interest in us. We look forward to hearing from you!
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com.We hope you can join us.