Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on Glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll see something amazing: this project is one of the most funded pre-order campaigns of all time. People love what we’re creating and can’t wait to get it.
Our founders are three builders from different backgrounds (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and makerspace, with 3D printers, sewing machines, optical benches, scrapbook cutters, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. This is a company for people who are passionate about creating things. If that’s you, we’re going to have a lot of fun together.
Why we need you
The Glowforge runs on electrons and we need your engineering expertise wrangling them to do the right thing. Our electrical systems are fascinatingly complex. There are a lot of challenging and thoughtful decisions that go into making it anticipate our customers’ every need while keeping the price accessible to as many people as possible. You’ll be part of the core team that designs the brains and the brawn of Glowforge and making sure that it’s manufactured to our top of the line specifications.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Design analog, high-speed digital, and mixed-signal circuits.
- Layout complex PCBs for mass production.
- Prototype ideas and quickly iterate on designs,testing and debugging in a state-of-the-art electronics lab.
- Interface and communicate with many of our manufacturing partners and turn your ideas into fruition (some travel required).
- Take ideas from a whiteboard sketch and turn them into a reality for tens of thousands of working units.
You need these qualifications
- 5+ years of experience from system-level to board-level design.
- Have worked with consumer products.
- Delivered high volume production designs that have delighted the people who used them.
- Experience working with contract manufacturers, vendors, and fabrication houses.
- Super passionate about hardware design…and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You have a very high level of proficiency in Altium Designer for schematic capture and multi-layer PCB design.
- You’re well versed in EMI/EMC testing and have RF experience.
- You have knowledge of high voltage power supply design and operation.
- You have solid modeling experience and can integrate mechanical constraints into your designs.
- You have experience at a start-up.
PSend us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or personal projects website are great as well. Please share with us a note about your interest in us. We look forward to hearing from you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.