Director of Supply Chain Management (Seattle, full-time)
Glowforge is a desktop laser that carves and engraves beautiful products from raw materials like wood, leather, paper – even chocolate.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on our homepage. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge received preorders totalling $27.9M in its first month – a world record. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity.
We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and makerspace, with 3D printers, optical benches, scrapbook cutters, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. This is a company for people who are passionate about creating something from scratch, from clothes to furniture to machines to food. If that’s you, we’re going to do amazing things together.
Why we need you
Our singular focus is delivering the best possible product to our customers, as quickly as we can. As the Director of Supply Management, you’ll be the crux of this effort. You’ll scrutinize the web of our partners and dependencies, and understand out how a technician’s strike on the other side of the world might affect delivery to one of our customers’ homes in Peoria.
You’ll source key vendors and find the best quality materials that meet our price goals, while you monitor all purchasing and manufacturing to ensure that our needed materials are always in stock to maintain production. You’ll think three problems ahead, mitigating risk by finding alternative solutions before they’re even needed. You will be the one who delivers on the beauty and promise that our customers expect – an investment that means a new skill, a new business, or a new opportunity.
You’ll be the person with the deepest and most intuitive understanding of our customers’ buying patterns, our manufacturers’ production patterns, and the inventory we carry as a result. You’ll use your insights to improve predictability and reduce costs without sacrificing our customers’ expectations, including production schedules, warehousing, delivery methods and scheduling. When our customers get their lasers exactly when they expect and are delighted with the results, they’ll have you to thank.
You’ll also coordinate regulatory compliance, including import compliance, so nothing stands in the way of a successful delivery to our customers. Finally, you’ll help us integrate our manufacturing processes with QA, and our support and warranty needs, so that if any problem should sneak through, it’s discovered immediately, fixed expeditiously, and prevented from ever happening again.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- You will develop and maintain our company’s supply chain while we experience constant change, from unbelivable sales growth to recalcitrant vendors.
- You will work closely with engineering in the development of new products to anticipate challenges and design around them.
- You will integrate monthly sales, production, and inventory reports, and future planning.
- You will maintain compliance and minimize company risk in regards to imports, exports, and environment, health, and safety (EH&S).
- You will continually improve our product’s reliability and quality for our customers, while keeping our costs low.
You need these qualifications
- 15+ years of experience in hardware supply chain management
- 5+ years being fully responsible for a hardware supply chain
- Significant hands-on involvement with the selection of vendors and other resources
- Understanding of GAAP as related to inventory management (COGS, FIFO, Data Cost Sets, etc)
- You have delivered a product on time and as according to plan
It would be nice if…
- You have experience working in overseas supply chains
- You have experience with consumer products
- You have experience at a high-growth startup
Please share your resume or Linkedin profile with us, along with a note about your interest in us. We’d love to hear from you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.