Director of Software Engineering
Glowforge has created a 3D laser printer: a beautiful device that sits on your desk and uses a beam of light the width of a single hair to create almost anything, from handbags to robots. It can print from raw materials like wood, leather, cloth – even chocolate. And we’ve got more than 10,000 excited, creative, and delightful customers eagerly waiting for it to arrive on their doorstep.
After wrapping up the biggest 30 day crowdfunding campaign in history, we put together a team of incredible people who we are humbled and excited to call our co-workers. We hail from tech giants like Amazon, Google, and Apple, and top startups like Tableau, Tesla, and Evernote. One thing we have all have in common? We want to build see a future where printing a wallet (or a lamp, or a birthday card, or a stunning sushi wrap) is just as easy as printing a resume.
We’re about to introduce the world to a beautiful device that will catalyze a change in the way things are made. In every department, in every role, our company is for people who are passionate about creating things - from handbags to robots. If that sounds like you, we’re going to do amazing things together. We can’t wait to meet you.
Why We Need You
We may look like a hardware company, but our biggest team is building our software. That’s on purpose: our hardware is a powerful platform that we will expand with amazing software for many years to come.
Our team makes that possible, and you will make their work possible. We owe them a brilliant, strong, passionate, and caring leader who can help them thrive and grow. That is the only way we can create the sublime experience that each and every one of our customers deserve.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
- First and foremost, you’ll be the wonderful, respected, and admired manager of many of the software engineers at Glowforge, known for bringing out the very best in the people on your team.
- You'll work closely with the VP of Software Engineering and other engineering managers to assist and grow both leaders and managers.
- You'll own and drive excellent engineering team process, from 1:1s to software project tracking tools, that help your team of passionate developers feel great about creating a product our customers love.
- Participate in code reviews, detailed design sessions, and if called upon, could write a bit of excellent code.
- Work closely with our hardware, design, product, and marketing teams to understand every aspect of the product and develop deep empathy for our customers.
- Participate in planning sessions with the whole product team and can help build the user stories, requirements and specifications that will drive development.
- Spearhead the construction of major new product initiatives that are too top secret to mention here.
You need these qualifications
- You've built and lead large teams of managers and individual contributors that created products people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with a diverse engineering team.
- You're thoughtful about software architecture, operational infrastructure, and system security.
- You're passionate about shipping great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
These aren't required, but you'd get bonus points if..
- You have experience growing a small company (~50) to a big one (500+).
- You've made a commit to a source repository recently.
- You've worked with back-end server technologies and creating products around the *ilities *(testability, maintainability, extensibility, scalability, and security-ility).
- You're experienced with hardware challenges around drivers, motion controller algorithms, and/or low-level code (you’ll be working closely with the hardware team and may have the opportunity to build low-level interfaces).
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account are fine.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.