Director of Product Management
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
Every product that Glowforge creates is designed around one simple idea: make it easy for anyone to make useful and beautiful things.
Behind that simplicity is a choreographed ballet of visual design, interaction expertise, product wisdom, customer empathy, and technical brilliance. You’re the conductor - the leader who brings those together to deliver unbelievable experiences to our customers.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Have you ever worked on a product that is both brand new, and dearly beloved? Great already, but with the potential to be tenfold better? It’s one of the most rewarding job experiences imaginable. Our customers hail from all walks of life, but what they share in common is a belief that their Glowforge will be a transformative tool for them. Delivering on and exceeding those expectations is an incredible way to spend the workday.
As the Director of Product Management for the software team, you’ll be working with and growing an extraordinarily gifted product management team. You’ll spend your time diving deep with customers, understanding who they are and what they dream of accomplishing. You’ll wrack your brain with the software engineering team, understanding how we put cutting edge software like Google Tensorflow and Kubernetes to use delivering more value to customers more quickly. You’ll study hardware with our hardware and manufacturing team, understanding how best our code can unlock the powers we’ve built into the product. You’ll fill up the whiteboard with marketing, understanding how we can make a delightful ecommerce experience that gets out of our customers’ way and gets them back to what they care about most.
Hire, manage, grow, and inspire a tremendous product management and design team.
- Work with engineers, customer success, executives, and the rest of the company to define the amazing product experiences our customers want and deserve.
- Work with engineering and manufacturing to deliver software infrastructure that lets us serve our customers better.
- Ensure the team is in constant communication with the greater organization so people understand what is being delivered, and when.
- Doing anything and everything needed, from technical research to wireframes to factory visits to product experimentation, so we can build a truly incredible product and ship it on schedule.
You need these qualifications:
- You have 15+ years of industry experience, including experience as both an individual contributor and manager of product teams
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, design, HCI, or equivalent experience.
- You have experience being a technical leader in building consumer products, and previous experience with a hardware product is preferred.
- You have a proven track record of shipping consumer products that customers love and have significant experience in people management.
- You’ve built, led and developed a team of talented and energetic Product Managers to align with successful product launches.
- You love to make things. It doesn’t matter what tools or materials are your passion - you’re excited about creating things.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You have both startup and big company experience.
- You’ve built and lead design teams before.
- You have a strong technology background.
- You’ve worked on hardware products before.
We love cover letters. We read them before the resume. Please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of, and what contribution you made that you’re most excited about.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.